Blood Donor Center promotions
During December, all blood donors at the MGH Blood Donor Center can fill out a gift tag that will be attached to a stuffed animal to be given to a pediatric patient. Donors also will be eligible to win dinner for two at the Gaslight Brasserie by “liking” the center on Facebook at www.facebook.com/MGHBloodDonor. For more information, call 617-726-8177 or email email@example.com.
Clinical Research Program seminars
The MGH Clinical Research Program is offering the following seminars:
• “How to Give a Presentation” Dec. 5 from 3:45 to 5 pm with Andrew Nierenberg, MD, who will present a guide for giving oral presentations;
• “Concepts in Operationalizing a Clinical Research Protocol” Dec. 14 from noon to 1 pm;
• “Incidental Findings in Clinical Research: Ethical and Regulatory Considerations” Dec. 8 from 2 to 3:30 pm to address observations with potential clinical significance that come to light during the conduct of a clinical study but are unrelated to study objectives;
• “Applying for an NIH Career Development Award” Dec. 12 from 2 to 5 pm, a workshop tailored to clinical investigators applying for an NIH K08 or K23 Mentored Clinical Scientist/Investigator Career Development Award; and
• “Adding Pharmacogenomics to Clinical Investigation: A Practical Guide” Dec. 13 from 12:30 to
5 pm, intended for clinicians, investigators, nurses and other clinical research staff.
All events take place in the Simches Center, Room 3.110. Register at http://hub.partners.org/catalog. For information about the first two seminars, contact Lauren Michaels at firstname.lastname@example.org. For information about the last three, call Suzanne Powell at 617-724-2900.
Choosing child care seminar
The Partners Employee Assistance Program (EAP) and Partners Child Care Services will offer an educational roundtable discussion for those new to parenting and child care Dec. 7 from 12:30 to 1:30 pm in the Haber Conference Room. Allison Lilly, LICSW, Partners EAP Operations Manager, will review child care options, costs, and how to find and evaluate care. Sheryl Lauber Weden, director of Partners Child Care Services, will discuss internal resources for back-up
care. For more information, call 617-726-6976 or visit www.eap.partners.org.
Nominate a YMCA Achiever
MGH managers are invited to recognize talented multicultural professionals for the Greater Boston YMCA Achievers Program. Now entering its 37th year, the program recognizes multicultural employees for their professional and community-based achievements and links them to the city’s youth as role models. Nomination forms, due Dec. 7, are available by contacting Dianne Austin at email@example.com.
Evacuation and Code Silver
Staff from Emergency Preparedness and Police and Security will host education sessions about the MGH’s evacuation plan and new Code Silver procedure Dec. 7 from 7 to 8 pm and Dec. 13 from 11 pm to midnight in the O’Keeffe Auditorium. Register via PeopleSoft by accessing https://ibridge.partners.org. For more information, contact Tom Herrmann at 617-643-4117 or firstname.lastname@example.org.
Heart Center education class
The MGH Heart Center is holding its monthly patient and family education class, "Advanced Therapies in Treatment of Heart Failure," Dec. 8 from 10:30 to 11:30 am on the seventh floor of the Yawkey Building, Room 7-980. The speaker is Jagmeet Singh, MD. For more information or to register, call 617 643-1452.
Eldercare Monthly Discussion
The Partners Employee Assistance Program (EAP) will host an Eldercare Monthly Discussion Group Dec. 13 from noon to 1 pm in the EAP Conference Room, Charles River Plaza, Suite 320. Facilitators will be Janet T. Loughlin, LICSW, CEAP, of Partners EAP, and Barbara Moscowitz, LICSW, MGH geriatric social worker. For more information, call the EAP at 617-726-6976 or visit http://www.eap.partners.org/.
Ostomy support group
A new ostomy support group will meet on the third Thursday of every month. The next session is Dec. 15 at 4 pm in Wang 455. The group is open to all colostomy, ileostomy and urostomy patients and their family members.
Chaplaincy holiday events
The MGH Chaplaincy will host several upcoming holiday events:
• The annual songfest is Dec. 15 from noon to 1 pm in the Main Lobby in front of the staircase by the Blum Family Learning Center. Festive holiday attire is encouraged and a prize will be given to the best dressed.
• The “Chapel Chanukah Chappening” is Dec. 16 at 12:15 pm in the MGH chapel, featuring songs and Psalms, prayers for Shabbat and interfaith reflections on the meaning of light. A dreidel spin-off and Chanukah food will follow in the foyer.
• Chanukah candles will be lit at 4 pm from Dec. 20 through Dec. 28 in the chapel foyer. The Dec. 24 candle lighting will take place at 5 pm.
• A Christmas Day Christian service is Dec. 25 at 12:15 pm in the chapel.
• Roman Catholic Masses in the chapel will be held as regularly scheduled Dec. 24 and Dec. 25 at 4 pm. The Solemnity of Mary will be held Dec. 30 and Jan. 1 at 4 pm.
Read more articles from the 12/02/11 Hotline issue.