THE POWER OF THREE: From left, Dec, Jaff and Sundt
IN AN EFFORT TO IMPROVE and advance the diagnosis and treatment of heart, vascular and cerebrovascular conditions, the MGH recently launched the Institute of Heart, Vascular and Stroke Care. Led by Michael R. Jaff, DO, medical director of the Vascular Center; Thoralf Sundt, MD, chief of Cardiac Surgery and co-chair of the Heart Center; and G. William Dec, MD, chief of Cardiology and co-chair of the Heart Center, the Institute’s team-based, collaborative approach will provide patients with fully integrated clinical care.
“The MGH is redefining cardiovascular and cerebrovascular care through the creation of the Institute,” says Sundt. “The Corrigan Minehan Heart Center, Vascular Center and Stroke Service will continue to operate. However, we also will begin to pursue more joint research opportunities and work to better educate health professionals and the patient community about the prevention and treatment of cardiovascular disease.”
Patients will be connected to a specialist specific to their condition, who will then work with members of the multispecialty Institute team to ensure all elements of their disease are evaluated and properly responded to. “The goal of the Institute is to provide our patients with the best possible care across all departments,” says Jaff. “The four pillars of the Institute are integrated clinical care, translational research, multidisciplinary educational programs and participation in national health policy.”
To introduce the Institute to the MGH community, “Health Information Day” will be held Sept. 12 from 7 am to 8 pm under the Bulfinch Tents. “All are invited to visit the event throughout the day to see demonstrations and examples of research efforts and technological innovations that members of the Institute are carrying out to advance care and treatment of heart, vascular and cerebrovascular diseases,” says Dec.
A speakers series will be held during Health Information Day:
- 7:15 am: “Goals and Mission of the Institute for Heart, Vascular and Stroke Care,” with panelists Dec and David F. Torchiana, MD, chairman and CEO of the MGPO, and Jaff as moderator;
- Noon: “The Institute: Right Time in a Changing Health Care Landscape,” with panelists Ann Prestipino, senior vice president for Surgical and Anesthesia Services and Clinical Business Development, who serves as the Institute’s executive sponsor; and Timothy Ferris, MD, medical director of the MGPO and vice president of Population Health Management at Partners;
- 4 pm: “Collaborative Approaches to Treating Atrial Fibrillation,” with panelists Patrick Ellinor, MD, PhD, director of the Arrhythmia/Step Down Unit; Lee Schwamm, MD, director of Telestroke and Acute Stroke Services and vice chair of Neurology; and Sundt. The talk will be moderated by Timothy Johnson, senior medical contributor for ABC News; and
- 7:15 pm: “Sneak Preview of Institute Translational Research Projects,” with speakers Udo Hoffmann, MD, director of the Cardiac MR PET CT Program; Sekar Kathiresan, MD, director of Preventative Cardiology; and Natalia Rost, MD, associate director of the Acute Stroke Service. The presentation will be moderated by Jaff.
- Event attendees also will be treated to Institute-branded promotional items and food throughout the day courtesy of Boston-area food trucks. For more information about the Health Information Day, email firstname.lastname@example.org.
Read more articles from the 9/7/12 Hotline issue.