Nominate Patient Safety Stars
In honor of National Patient Safety Awareness Week, March 2 through 8, the MGH will sponsor its fifth annual Patient Safety Star Appreciation breakfast on March 5. “Safety Stars” exemplify the principle that all staff have the responsibility and opportunity to contribute to patient safety.
Staff are invited to nominate a colleague in a clinical, administrative or support service role who has demonstrated particular excellence in patient safety. The deadline for nominations is 5 pm on Feb. 12. Nominations may be submitted online. Select “respond to survey.”
Employees may also fax Millie LeBlanc, RN, patient safety specialist, at 617-726-8031 the following information: the nominee’s name, department and mailstop, as well as his or her immediate supervisor’s name and at least one example of the nominee’s contribution to patient safety at the MGH.
For more information, contact LeBlanc at firstname.lastname@example.org.
Upcoming Blum Center events
The Maxwell and Eleanor Blum Patient and Family Learning Center is offering the following free programs:
- “Shared Decision Making Talk: Chronic Low Back Pain” noon to 1 pm, Jan. 22 with Steve Atlas, MD and Diane Plante, PT, MS.
- National Health Observances Talk: Glaucoma, noon to 1 pm, Jan. 29 with Edward Barnett, MD, PhD.
For more information, call 617-724-7352.
Senior HealthWISE events
MGH Senior HealthWISE will host the following events:
- “ Memory: Understanding Normal Memory Changes and Dementia” Jan. 23, 11 am to noon in the MGH Haber Conference Room, with guest speaker Fadi Ramadan, MD, MGH Geriatric Medicine Unit.
- Special Event: “Tips for Successful Aging” Jan. 27 from 11 am to noon in the MGH Haber Conference Room, with guest speaker Ann Webster, PhD, director of the Benson-Henry Institute for Mind Body Medicine’s Mind Body Program for Cancer and the Successful Aging program.
- “The Fruit of Our Losses: Growing through Grief Work” Feb. 6 from 11 am to noon in the MGH Haber Conference Room, with guest speaker Robert Weber, PhD, MGH Department of Psychiatry.
- “John Singer Sargent Watercolors” Feb. 20 from 11 am to noon in the MGH Haber Conference Room, with guest speaker Nicole Claris, educator, Museum of Fine Arts.
- “Macular Degeneration” March 6 from 11 am to noon in the MGH Haber Conference Room, with guest speaker Tina Cleary, MD, Ophthalmic Consultants of Boston.
- “Medication Safety in the Older Population” March 20 from 11 am to noon in the MGH Haber Conference Room, with guest speaker Joanne Doyle Petrongolo, PharmD, pharmacist for the MGH Integrated Care Management Program.
For more information about Senior HealthWISE events, call 617-724-6756 or visit www.massgeneral.org/geriatrics/seniorhealthwise.
Advanced Cardiovascular Life Support (ACLS) courses
ALCS courses are available on the following dates:
Jan. 27, 5:30 to 10:30 pm
April 9, 5:30 to 10:30 pm
May 14, 5:30 to 10:30 pm
Aug. 13, 5:30 to 10:30 pm
Oct. 8, 5:30 to 10:30 pm
Two-day Certification Classes: The first day of the two-day classes includes lectures (Airway, ACS) and the second day includes Megacodes and Airway testing.
Day 1: March 10, 8 am to 3 pm
Day 2: March 24, 8 am to 3 pm
Tentative, Day 1: June 20, 10:30 am to 5 pm
Tentative, Day 2: June 23, 8 am to 1 pm
Day 1: July 10, 8 am to 3 pm
Day 2: July 11, 8 am to 1 pm
Day 1: Sept. 12, 8 am to 3 pm
Day 2: Sept. 22, 8 am to 1 pm
Day 1: Nov. 6, 8 am to 3 pm
Day 2: Nov. 7, 8 am to 1 pm
Class locations will be identified with registration confirmation notification. To register visit http://www.massgeneral.org/emergencymedicine/assets/Library/ACLS_registration_form.pdf
MGH Institute Mind Body Spirit Certificates – Now Online
The Mind Body Spirit Nursing online certificate programs at the MGH Institute of Health Professions promote the incorporation of a holistic and integrated mind, body, spirit approach to health care. These programs provide you with the necessary knowledge and skills to safely and effectively integrate conventional and complementary approaches to patient assessment and management − with an emphasis on the potential for health and healing in human systems. Two online certificate options are available:
9-credit Certificate of Completion
15-credit Post-Master’s Certificate of Advanced Study (CAS)
Register today at mghihp.edu/mindbodyspirit. Full-time employees of Partners HealthCare may take one three-credit course at half-price tuition.