The following personal and interpretive services are available to patients and health care providers:
- ASL interpreter: A full-time American Sign Language/English interpreter is available for patients and visitors to Mass General
- CART (Communication Access Real-time Translation) Services: Professional captioners type the speaker’s words into text, which can be read on a computer screen
- Videophone: Deaf and hard-of-hearing patients and visitors can make phone calls directly to other sign language users
- TTY Relay: Deaf and people with impaired hearing can call each other through a TTY Relay Operator by dialing 711 from any patient room.
- Video Relay: Deaf and people with impaired hearing can call each other through a Certified Video Relay Interpreter by calling 866-327-8877.
- Closed Caption Television: Televisions with closed captions are available in patient rooms and public places at the hospital. Closed captioning is controlled by the television remote
For more information and/or to request these services, contact the Interpreter Services Department at 617-726-6966/TTY 617-724-0354.