At Massachusetts General Hospital, referring physicians are always regarded as valued members of each patient's care team.
HOW TO MAKE A REFERRAL
Call the Mass General Physician Referral Service at 800-388-4644 for help finding a specialist.
Or select one of the following options:
Find a Doctor
Mass General’s online physician search service can help you find the right specialist for your patient.
Select a Center or Department
If you don’t have a specific physician in mind, contact a Mass General clinical department or multidisciplinary care center to help you select one.
Why Refer to Mass General?
- Mass General has an international reputation for clinical excellence and innovative and personalized care. U.S. News & World Report consistently ranks Mass General among the top five hospitals in the country.
- Mass General has a long history of leadership in clinical investigation, and patients have access to groundbreaking clinical trials. Patients who are eligible to participate in one of our clinical trials will have the opportunity to try potentially safer and more effective therapies and/or a broad spectrum of investigational devices and drugs.
- Mass General is recognized for achieving the highest standards in patient safety and health care quality practices. Learn about our performance, our improvement goals and how we compare.
- Mass General is a premier academic medical center. As the first and largest teaching hospital of Harvard Medical School, Mass General is educating the next generation of health care professionals and training providers in innovative therapies.
- Referring physicians are valued members of the patient’s care team. Mass General specialists regularly share the results of evaluations and recommended treatments with a patient’s referring physician in a timely manner. We are committed to maintaining the integrity of your relationship with your patient.
Specialists are available 24 hours a day for consultations and to provide information about stabilization or management or facilitate referral and transport of critically ill patients.
For emergency referrals, contact the Emergency Department at 617-724-4100.
Massachusetts General Hospital offers physician-to-physician consultation services, enabling physicians at Mass General and other hospitals to work together in an advisory capacity on patient consultations.
This collaboration allows follow-up services to be provided by the patient’s local hospital whenever possible. Mass General physicians also can:
- Discuss specific patient cases and management strategies
- Determine whether the patient can benefit from a referral to Mass General
- Discuss leading-edge diagnostic or innovative medical approaches available at Mass General
Massachusetts General Hospital was the first hospital in the state to earn Magnet recognition, the highest honor for nursing excellence awarded by the American Nurses Credentialing Center.
Mass General’s International Patient Center helps patients from overseas with making appointments, transportation and language interpretation services.