Throughout his long career, Dr. Benson has worked to build awareness of mind body medicine, to validate it through research, and to bridge the gap between Western and Eastern medical practices.
Herbert Benson, M.D., is the Director Emeritus of the Benson-Henry Institute (BHI), and Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School.
A graduate of Wesleyan University and the Harvard Medical School, Dr. Benson is the author or co-author of more than 190 scientific publications and 12 books:
- The Relaxation Response, 1975
- The Mind/Body Effect, 1979
- Beyond the Relaxation Response, 1984
- Your Maximum Mind, 1987
- The Wellness Book, 1992
- Timeless Healing: The Power and Biology of Belief, 1996
- The Relaxation Response - Updated and Expanded (25th Anniversary Edition), 2000
- The Breakout Principle, 2003
- Mind Over Menopause, 2004
- Mind Your Heart, 2004
- The Harvard Medical School Guide to Lowering Your Blood Pressure, 2006
- Relaxation Revolution, 2010
More than five million copies of his books have been printed in many languages.
Dr. Benson is a pioneer in mind/body medicine, one of the first Western physicians to bring spirituality and healing into medicine. In his 40+ year career, he has defined the relaxation response and continues to lead teaching and research into its efficacy in counteracting the harmful effects of stress. The recipient of numerous national and international awards, Dr. Benson lectures widely about mind/body medicine and the BHI's work. His expertise is frequently sought by national and international news media, and he appears in scores of newspapers, magazines, and television programs each year. Dr. Benson's research extends from the laboratory to the clinic to Asian field expeditions. His work serves as a bridge between medicine and religion, East and West, mind and body, and belief and science.