The Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center offers a collaborative and caring approach to diagnosis and treatment of patients with confirmed or suspected colon cancer. Your access nurse will guide you through the process.
you play an important role in the success of your care
One of the ways we will help you navigate the Cancer Center is to provide you with an experienced access nurse. This person will be your point person helping to coordinate a multidisciplinary team that includes doctors, nurses, social workers and other clinicians, who will work together to develop your treatment plan and provide your care.. This seamless coordination of care will allow you to focus on healing and provide you with a single point person to help answer any questions you may have.
Your access nurse will :
- Communicate with you to refer you to an appropriate surgeon, if needed, within 3 days
- Order all tests, imaging and lab work necessary. Lab work will be reviewed within 1 day post-surgery
- Within 3 days of pathology review, we will explain your diagnosis, treatment, and follow-up care in ways you can understand, including:
- When the biopsy or other test results will be discussed with you
- How to manage your after-surgery care and any possible side effects
- Next steps if you need additional treatment planning with a medical oncologist
- Help you understand your care plan and communicate with your treatment team. We encourage you to ask questions and we will help you navigate the treatment process to ensure the best outcomes. Our access nurse is here to help you.
To request an appointment, please call 877-726-5130.
Consistently ranked as one of the best in the country by U.S. News & World Report, Mass General provides the latest, most effective treatments including many innovative approaches to clinical care and promising new therapies. Your access nurse will make sure you receive the most appropriate, effective care for you.