Your source for the latest Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center news and information: May 2, 2011.
Special edition to highlight the one hundred
Survivorship & Wellness
May is Melanoma Awareness Month. Protect yourself and your loved ones while you enjoy the warmer weather of Spring and Summer.
the one hundred: 2011
2011 Marathon recap
“When I lined up for the race, standing next to me was a woman, probably my age, wearing a pink shirt and a white baseball cap. I noticed that she did not have any hair. As we stood there waiting to start, she told me that she had just finished her chemotherapy for breast cancer. She said that she ran every day she felt well enough throughout her treatment. If that isn't courage and determination, I don't know what is! We ran the entire race at the same pace and whenever I felt tired, I looked for her. If she could run, so could I. I never let her out of my sight and she even crossed the finish line ahead of me!!” – Elizabeth Chabner Thompson, MD, MPH, Mass General Marathon Team
Read more stories from the Boston Marathon
- May 7: 7th Annual 12,402 Steps to Cure Sarcoma Walk
- May 8: Purple Ribbon 5k Run/Walk
- May 12: Friends of the Mass General Cancer Center Luncheon
- June 1: the one hundred
- June 11: Four Seasons Run of Hope
- June 26: North Shore Cancer WALK/Run
|Honorees from the Bench...
|Nicholas Dyson, PhD
Nicholas Dyson, PhD, a senior scientist at the Center for Cancer Research, has made breakthroughs in our understanding of the way cells divide, whether it is the regulated division of a normal cell or the abnormal proliferation of a malignant cancer.
|To the Bedside...|
Carlos Fernandez-Robles, MD
|To the Community|
In the News
- Poehler, Damon, Eaton make the list at Time - Boston Globe article mentions that Matt Damon will host the 2011 celebration of the one hundred on June 1
- Shortage of chemotherapy drug halts leukemia treatment for Hadley woman – Daily Hampshire Gazette article on MGH Cancer Center patient, quotes physician Eyal Attar
- Hub student to shoot hoops 24 hours straight in cancer research fundraiser – Boston.com
- Alternative and complementary treatments for cancer – Huffington Post mentions availability of acupuncture to Mass General Cancer Center patients
- Multiple myeloma gala sets goal of giving hope – Boston Herald quotes Mass General physician Noopur Raje
Connect with the Cancer Center
Connections is a publication of the Cancer Center Marketing Department. For questions, comments or story suggestions, please contact: firstname.lastname@example.org. More ways to stay in touch: