Karen Kuhn (Karen) Ballen, MD
Clinical Director, Leukemia Program
- Department of Medicine
- Cancer Center
- Multiple Myeloma
- Bone Marrow Transplant
- Clinical Interests
- Cord blood transplantations
- Bone marrow transplant
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Education
- MD, Dartmouth Medical School
- Residency, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Hematology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Medical Oncology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Medicare - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
OSW - Vermont
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Railroad Medicare - ACD
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Harvard College, AB magna cum laude, History and Literature, 1982
Dartmouth College, MD, 1986
Internal Medicine Internship and Residency, Beth Israel Hospital Boston, 1986-1989.
Hematology/Oncology Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital, Boston 1989-1992
Attending Physician Appointments:
Transplant Physican, Brigham and Women's Hospital and
Children's Hospital, Boston 1992-1995
Director, Bone Marrow Transplant Unit, UMass Memorial Health Care 1995-2002
Acting Division Director, Medical Oncology, U Mass Memorial Health Care 2000-2002
Director Leukemia Program, Massachusetts General Hospital 2002- present
My career has focused on the care of patients with leukemia and patients undergoing bone marrow or stem cell transplants. I have a particular interest in patients who do not have a matched donor and may be interested in transplants using umbilical cord blood. Although I enjoy doing clinical research to continually improve outcomes,excellent and compassionate patient care is my primary concern and fulfillment. Our Leukemia Program provides state of the art care for patients with acute and chronic leukemias. We look forward to meeting you.
Research My research involves improving the outcomes of treatments for leukemia and transplantation. We have several protocols especially designed for older patients with leukemia. I have a particular interest in umbilical cord blood transplantation for those patients who do not have a matched donor.
- Ballen KK, et al: Collection of Cord Blood for Personal Use. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2008
- Yusuf RZ, et al, Ballen KK: Autologous Stem Cell Transplantation with a Dose Reduced Busulfan and Cyclophosphamide Regimen in Older Patients with Non-Hodgkins Lymphoma. Bone Marrow Transplantation 2009
- Ballen KK, et al: Outcome of transplantation for myelofibrosis. Biol Blood Marrow Transplant 2010
- Cutler C, Ballen KK: Reduced Intensity Conditioning and Cord Blood Transplantation in Adults. Bone Marrow Transplant; 2009; 44: 667-71.
Hematology/Oncology BMT Program
100 Blossom Street
Boston, MA 02114-2606
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.