Elena F. Brachtel, MD
Assistant Pathologist, Massachusetts General Hospital
Assistant Professor of Pathology, Harvard Medical School
Dr. Brachtel is a specialist in breast pathology and cytopathology. She is interested in digital imaging, and the development of computational tools to aid diagnosis.
- Department of Pathology
- Cancer Center
- Breast Evaluation
- Breast Cancer
- Clinical Interests
- Breast pathology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Hamburg Faculty of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Cytopathology, American Board of Pathology
- Accepting New Patients
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Medicare - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Railroad Medicare - ACD
Senior Whole Health
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Dr. Brachtel received her MD degree from the University of Hamburg Medical School, Hamburg, Germany. After her doctoral thesis under the supervision of Professor Paul Racz at the Bernhard Nocht Institute for Tropical Medicine, she worked as a house officer in England in internal medicine and surgery, before entering a residency in pathology at the University Hospital Eppendorf, Hamburg. She completed a postdoctoral fellowship at the Armed Forces Institute of Pathology and Walter Reed Army Institute of Research in Washington, D.C. before completing a residency in anatomic pathology at the Massachusetts General Hospital, followed by a fellowship in cytopathology. Her areas of expertise are breast pathology and cytopathology, with a special interest in digital imaging.
Dr. Brachtel's current research involves projects on the pathology of breast cancer treated with neoadjuvant chemotherapy, 3D imaging of breast cancer, and breast cytology. She is principal investigator of the Massachusetts General Hospital site in a multicenter clinical trial to test a molecular assay for diagnosis of cancers of uncertain primary, and is collaborating in translational research. Other research interests include:
Involvement of the nipple in breast cancer
Role of BTG2 in human breast cancer
Digital imaging in breast cancer diagnosis
Pathologic changes in breast cancer after neoadjuvant chemotherapy
View my most recent publications at PubMed
- Lumpectomy specimen margins are not reliable in predicting residual disease in breast conserving surgery. Tang R, Coopey SB, Specht MC, Lei L, Gadd MA, Hughes KS, Brachtel EF, Smith BL. Am J Surg. 2014 Dec 23. pii: S0002-9610(14)00649-7. doi: 10.1016/j.amjsurg.2014.09.029. [Epub ahead of print]
- Computational pathology to discriminate benign from malignant intraductal proliferations of the breast. Dong F, Irshad H, Oh EY, Lerwill MF, Brachtel EF, Jones NC, Knoblauch NW, Montaser-Kouhsari L, Johnson NB, Rao LK, Faulkner-Jones B, Wilbur DC, Schnitt SJ, Beck AH. PLoS One. 2014 Dec 9;9(12):e114885. doi: 10.1371/journal.pone.0114885. eCollection 2014.
- Interinstitutional whole slide imaging teleconsultation service development: assessment using internal training and clinical consultation cases. Jones NC, Nazarian RM, Duncan LM, Kamionek M, Lauwers GY, Tambouret RH, Wu CL, Nielsen GP, Brachtel EF, Mark EJ, Sadow PM, Grabbe JP, Wilbur DC.Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2015 May;139(5):627-35. doi: 10.5858/arpa.2014-0133-OA. Epub 2014 Nov 21.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Phone 2: 617-724-1420
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.