MGH Chelsea and Revere HealthCare Centers operate a School-Based Health Center at Chelsea and Revere High Schools, respectively.
Staffed with Pediatric Nurse Practitioners and other clinicians, SBHCs provide primary care and services in mental health, nutrition, health education, substance abuse prevention, violence prevention, and assistance with health insurance enrollment to all students at Chelsea High School and Revere High School. Our Stay in Shape Program is operated at both these high schools.
For 2014 Outcomes in Revere, please see the MGH Revere Adolescent Health Initiative.
2014 Outcomes in Chelsea;
- There were 300 active participants at Chelsea High School.
- Services offered by MGH mental health providers include individual counseling, psych med prescription. Acupuncture sessions were offered each semester through Student Health Center.
- There is a concussion policy in place regarding Return to Play and Return to Learn. We are working with school administrators, guidance counselors, coaches/athletic trainers, school nursing team, and MGH Chelsea pediatricians to ensure compliance. The team includes CHS administrators, social workers, guidance counselors, school nurse, special ed staff, deans, outreach workers.
- Case management is provided for all pregnant and parenting students, with monthly support group meetings for teen mothers. We implemented monthly support group meetings for teen fathers through MGH Fatherhood Program and implemented after school prenatal classes run by MGH Chelsea midwives. We attended at Teen Parent Lobby Day on March 27, 2014, meetings with legislators and testified at the State House hearing regarding An Act Enhancing the Educational Outcomes of Expectant and Parenting Students, which would provide funding for an outreach worker for the expectant and parenting students in the MA public schools. We clarified maternity leave policies and procedures, child care resources, vouchers for daycare.
- We participated with other CBOs; sit on Young Parent Advisory Board at ROCA.
- We implemented Coaching Boys into Men program with varsity baseball team; Created Healthy Relationship Week with outreach activities, and the SHC NP co-led two Healthy Relationship psycho-ed groups with the school social worker.
- We helped coordinate internships at MGH Chelsea for CHS students in the Health and Life Sciences track; Recruited and helped with hiring process of summer interns at MGH Chelsea through the Jobs4Youth program.
- We met with Summer Search Spring 2014 to identify ways to help the Chelsea High School students who participate in the program with a goal to improve communication that facilitates support for these students.
- We serve as consultant for Agents of Change grant for MGH Chelsea Pediatrics to improve adolescent health services.
- Chelsea Public Schools received grant through MA Department of Elementary and Secondary Education to improve adolescent sexual health through sexual health education, sexual health services, safe and supportive environment, and policies supporting these areas. We serve as one of the core team members for this grant implementation.
For more information, please call 781-485-6400