Avon Breast Care Program
The Avon Breast Care Program works to ensure that women who have had abnormal mammogram findings receive appropriate and timely diagnostic follow-up and care to improve their health outcomes. Individualized services particularly address the needs of the Latina population of Chelsea.
- Download our booklet with descriptions of our community health work
- Please contact Luz Betancourt at (617) 887-3789
- Read about our outcomes in this article from The Oncologist.
Since 2001, the Avon Foundation has generously provided critical funding to help the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) reduce disparities in breast cancer in Boston through the MGH Avon Breast Care Program. The goal of this program is to establish models for breast cancer screening, diagnosis, and care that would effectively penetrate the disadvantaged minority communities in greater Boston. The Avon Breast Care Program serves MGH Chelsea patients as well as patients from Mattapan Community Health Center and Harbor Health Services (Geiger Gibson, Neponset and Hyannis Community Health Centers). The program promotes screening, timely follow-up of abnormal findings, and ensures early detection and comprehensive treatment for patients with breast cancer.
Since its inception in May 2001, the MGH Avon Breast Care Program has served 11,588 patients, including 232 patients who have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
- 2136 patients were served across all program sites.
- The Avon Breast Health Navigators provided 644 language translations, 113 financial assistance referrals, 61 transportation assistance, 21 second opinion referrals, 11 material support referrals and 3 support group/counseling referrals.
- 92% of patients referred for follow-up on an abnormal finding arrived to a first appointment in 60 days or less.
- 25 outreach events reached 1,618 participants.
- 1928 patients received assistance with screening.
Read about Avon Breast Care program results in this article from The Oncologist.
Phone: 617 887-3789