Avon Breast Care Program
The Avon Breast Care Program works to ensure that women who have had abnormal mammogram findings receive appropriate and timely diagnostic follow-up and care to improve their health outcomes. Individualized services particularly address the needs of the Latina population of Chelsea.
- Contact Luz Betancourt at 617-887-3789
- Download our booklet with descriptions of our community health work
The goal of the Avon Breast Care Program is to increase the rate of follow-up at the MGH Avon Comprehensive Breast Evaluation Center among patients who have abnormal findings from a mammogram or clinical exam. The no-wait, “one-stop” approach provides patients with diagnostic mammograms and directly connects them to oncologist and surgeon appointments if necessary. Through the Avon Breast Care Program Patient Navigator, the program strives to assess and address additional barriers to accessing and receiving timely, quality health care and strives to provide support and assistance to patients undergoing diagnostic work-up.
Since its inception in May 2001, several results have been identified
- The Avon Program Breast Care Program at MGH Chelsea has served 7,274 patients, including 196 patients who have been diagnosed with breast cancer.
- 60% of the patients were of African descent or Latina, and 47% spoke a primary language other then English.
- Identifying these cases of cancer as early as possible helps to get patients into cancer treatment and improve their health outcomes.
In FY 2012, the Avon Breast Health Navigators provided 349 language translations, 77 financial assistance referrals, 30 transportation assistance, 15 material support and 2 social service referrals. In addition,
- 1,389 patients received assistance with screening.
- 19 breast health outreach/educational activities reached 505 participants.
- 91 percent of patients referred for follow-up on an abnormal finding arrived to a first appointment in 60 days or fewer.
Phone: 617 887-3789