Alexandra Boer (Alexa) Kimball, MD, MPH
Senior Vice President, Massachusetts General Physicians Organization
Vice Chair, Department of Dermatology
Director, Clinical Unit for Research Trials in Skin
- Department of Dermatology
- MassGeneral Hospital for Children
- Clinical Interests
- Clinical trials
- Hidradenitis Suppurativa
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Education
- M.P.H., Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health
- MD, Yale University School of Medicine
- Residency, Stanford University Medical Center
- Fellowship, National Institute of Health
- Board Certifications
- Dermatology, American Board of Dermatology
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and pediatric
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
ForMost Managed Care
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Alexa Boer Kimball, MD, MPH, is Senior Vice President for Practice Improvement at the Massachusetts General Physician Organization and Professor of Dermatology at Harvard Medical School. She also serves as the Vice Chair of the Department of Dermatology and Director of the Clinical Unit for Research Trials and Outcomes in Skin based at the Massachusetts General Hospital in Boston.
Dr Kimball received her medical degree from the Yale University School of Medicine after obtaining bachelor's degrees in molecular biology and public and international affairs from Princeton University. She completed her residency in dermatology at the Stanford University Medical Center and a clinical research fellowship in dermatology at the National Institutes of Health in Bethesda, Maryland, as she concurrently obtained an MPH from the Johns Hopkins School of Public Health.
She is widely recognized for her work on psoriasis, physician workforce economics, clinical trials and outcomes research with articles published in journals such as Archives of Dermatology, Arthritis and Rheumatism, British Journal of Dermatology, Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology, The Lancet, and JAMA. Dr Kimball was previously associate editor for the" Clinical Trials and Therapeutics" section of the Journal of the American Academy of Dermatology and a medical editor for the "Dermatology" section of eMedicine. She is also the author of the book 101 Questions and Answers about Psoriasis, which has been translated into Spanish, Greek, and Korean.
ResearchAlexa B. Kimball, MD, MPH is the director of the Clinical Unit for Research Trials and Outcomes in Skin (CURTIS). This unit conducts a wide variety of studies from industry-sponsored to physician-initiated Phase 1-4 trials evaluating new therapies and devices for a broad spectrum of skin diseases.
Currently, Dr. Kimball is actively conducting several dermatology studies, including therapies for hidradenitis suppurativa, psoriasis, and acne.
For more information, please e-mail firstname.lastname@example.org or call (617) 726-5066.
View my most recent publications at PubMedRecent Publications:
- Kimball AB, Papp KA, Wasfi Y,Chan D,Bissonnette R. Sofen H, Yeilding N, Li S, Szapary P, Gordon KB; on behalf of the PHOENIX 1 investigators: Long-term efficacy of usetekinumab in patients with moderate-to severe psoriasis treated for up to 5 years in the PHOENIX 1 study. J. Eur Acad Dermatol. Venereol. 2012 Dec. 20. doi: 10.1111/jdv.12046
- Martin ML, McCarrier KP, Chiou CF, Godon K, Kimball AB, Van Voorhees AS, Gottlieb AB, Huang X, Globe D, Chau D, Viswanathan HN, Kricorian G: Early Development and Qualitative Evidence of Content Validity for the Psorasis Symptom Inventory, a Patient-Reported Outcome Measure of Psoriasis Symptom Severity. J. Dermatolog Treat. 2012 Dec.19
- Kimball AB, Kerdel F, Adams D, Mrowietz U, Gelfand JM, Gniadecki R, Prens EP, Schlessinger J, Zouboulis CC, van der Zee HH, Rosenfeld M, Mulani P, Gu Y, Paulson S, Okun M, Jemec GB: Adalimumab for the treatment of moderate to severe hidradenitis suppurativa: a parallel randomized trial: Ann Intern Med. 2012 Dec 18;157(12):846-5.
- Kimball AB. Psoriasis and cardiovascular disease; another contribution in the hierarch of evidence. BR J. Dermatol. 2012 Dec; 167(6):1198-9. doi; 10.1111/bjd 12089. No abstract available.
- Lima XT, Alora-Palli, MB, Kimball AB,, Kay J: Validation of a screening instrument for nephrogenic systemic fibrosis. Arthritis Care Res. (Hoboken). 2012 Oct. 24. doi: 10.1002/acr.21877.
Browse the latest local and national news articles featuring stories from basic research to innovative breakthroughs in cosmetic dermatology.
50 Staniford Street
Boston, MA 02114-2517
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.