Jingping (JP) Wang, MD, PhD
Assistant Anesthesia; Assistant Professor
Team Leader in Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (OMFS)
Team Leader in In Vitro Fertilization Anesthesia (IVF)
- Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine
- Clinical Interests
- Anesthesia for general surgery
- Acute Pain and Pediatric Pain Management
- Regional anesthesia
- Anesthesia for Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery
- Obstetric anesthesia
- Orthopedic anesthesia
- In Vitro Fertilization Anesthesia
- ECT Anesthesia
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Education
- MD, Jilin Medical University
- Ph.D., Peking Union Medical College
- Residency, Peking Union Medical College Hospital
- Residency, SUNY Upstate Medical University Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Anesthesiology, American Board of Anesthesiology
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and pediatric
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Connecticut
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
OSW - Vermont
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Senior Whole Health
Tufts Health Plan
United Behavioral Health
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
I focuse on clinical anesthesia and research as well as resident education. Clinically, I am currently actively engaged in numerous services in the main operating room, acute pain and pediatric pain management. I devote a great deal of clinical time and effort to the Oral & Maxillofacial Surgery (OMF), developing standardized protocols for anesthesia practices on OMF, running monthly fiberoptic intubation simulation workshop, coordinating and overseeing daily operation to ensure consistently delivering the excellent performance. I am in charge of In Vitro Fertilization Anesthesia, initiating process improvements and overseeing compliance issues, maintaining standards of excellence for clinical activities of the unit. I also focuse on comprehensive pain management for acute and pediatric pain patients, evaluating and treating patients with a variety of pain.
I spend my research time as the Principal Investigator on several IRB protocols, study on heat shock protein production after limb ischemia and reperfusion, and other pain related research. I have been actively involved in education for residents, fellows and Harvard Medical School students. I serve on numerous departmental committees, including Quality Assurance and Advisory Committee on Clinical Research.
- Investigating mechanisms of the impact of limb ischemia and reperfusion on cardiovascular functions
- Study on epidural hematoma from neuraxial anesthesia associated with systemic anticoagulation
- Assessment and Development of fiberoptic intubation simulation
Description of Research
My research focuses on (1) investigating the mechanisms of the impact of limb ischemia and reperfusion on cardiovascular functions, to determine if there is an accumulation of HSPs in the plasma of patients who had a tourniquet placed as part of a total knee arthroplasty and patients with limb ischemia requiring infrainguinal revasculization; to understand if increased HSP related to the perioperative cardiac events; (2) evaluating the incidence, sensitivity and specificity of imaging requested to rule out epidural hematomas by using data analysis sources. (3) Developing standardized protocols for anesthesia practices on OMF, organizing monthly fiberoptic intubation simulation workshop, participating in faculty, resident and CRNA development and education, compliance, departmental matters, coordinating and overseeing daily operation to ensure consistently delivering the excellent performance.
- Wang JP, Lau ME, Gulur P. Delayed Spinal Epidural Hematoma After Epidural Catheter Removal with Reinitiation of Warfarin. J Cardiothorac Vasc Anesth. 2013; Sep 25. S1053-07
- Mirzakhani M, Nozari A, Ehrenfeld JM, Peterfreund R, Szabo M, Rosow C, Walsh J, Jiang YD, Sandberg W, Wang JP. Profound Hypotension during Induction of General Anesthesia with Propofol in patients with Rifampin treatment. Anesthesia & Analgesia. 2013; 117(1):61-64.
- Oto J, Li Q, Kimball WR, Wang JP, Sabouri AS, Harrell PG, Kacmarek RM and Jiang YD.
Continuous positive airway pressure and ventilation is more effective with a nasal mask than a full face mask in unconscious subjects: a randomized controlled trial. Critical Care 2013, Dec 17: R300.
- Wilkins SD, Alston TA, Wang JP. Combined general and spinal anesthesia for lumbar decompression in an opioid-intolerant patient: intra-operative administration of intrathecal bupivacaine via the surgical incision. The Open Anesthesiology Journal 2012; 2:9-1
Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Chronic Pediatric Pain Clinic
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
You can see MassGeneral for Children specialists in more than a dozen locations throughout Eastern Massachusetts and Southern New Hampshire.
Contact MassGeneral Hospital for Children to schedule an appointment with one of our specialists.
Referring a patient to MassGeneral Hospital for Children is easy.