Overview of electives available to pediatric residents at Massachusetts General Hospital.
The Pediatric RRC requires that each resident complete at least 4 different one month block rotations from the following list of subspecialties. At least 2 subspecialty rotations must be taken at the primary teaching site/and/or integrated hospitals.
- Genetics and Metabolism
- Infectious Diseases
You may also choose to take other pediatric electives such as:
- Burns (contact: Rob Sheridan)
- Child Protection
- International Medicine
- Surgical Subspecialties (outpatient)
For more information about each individual elective and for how to arrange the elective, please see the Elective Manual on the residency website (Wikidot). Note that this website requires a resident password.
Many residents choose to do global health electives and other national "away" electives. The policy on away electives, as well as the forms for requesting funding for international travel, are available on the residency website (Wikidot). Note that this website requires a resident password. Do not forget that you must reschedule your continuity clinics if you go on an away elective!
When scheduling an elective, the following steps must be taken:
- At least one month before the elective, call the course director or contact person listed in the elective guide. Many of these electives can accommodate only one resident at a time, so it is important to call as early as possible before your elective rotation begins.
- As soon as you have permission to take the elective from the course director, email Diane Wright and the chief residents to tell them what elective you will be taking and the dates. IF YOU DO NOT DO THIS BEFORE THE START OF THE ELECTIVE, YOU WILL NOT GET CREDIT FOR THE ELECTIVE.
- "Away Electives" require Program Director approval ahead of time and a paper evaluation from the preceptor. These evaluations are available to print through New Innovations. All away elective forms are available on Wikidot.
- Contact the course director a few days ahead of time to arrange when and where to meet on the first day of the rotation.
- During your elective, please remind your faculty preceptors to complete an evaluation for you online at New Innovations. Also, please complete an evaluation of the rotation and faculty members.
A new model for children's health care: learn more about MassGeneral Hospital for Children.
Massachusetts General Hospital provides a welcoming and supportive environment for employees of all ethnic backgrounds, cultures, ages, lifestyles and physical abilities.