These simple steps can protect you and others from influenza.
What You Can Do to Protect Your Family
Follow these important guidelines to prevent influenza illness. These simple steps can protect you and others from both seasonal and H1N1 influenza.
For complete, up-to-date information, including flu clinic hours, please see 2012 Seasonal Flu (influenza) information.
- Get a flu shot. This year the seasonal flu vaccine and the H1N1 vaccines are now combined into one shot.
- Cover your nose and mouth with a tissue every time you cough or sneeze and discard the tissue into a wastebasket.
- If you do not have a tissue, sneeze or cough into your upper sleeve.
- Clean your hands with soap and water or an alcohol-based hand cleaner, especially after coughing or sneezing.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose or mouth.
- Try to stay in good health by getting enough sleep, drinking plenty of fluids and eating nutritious food.
- Do not go to work or school if sick.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Clean frequently touched surfaces with a household disinfectant.