Hospitalists provide full-time inpatient general pediatric coverage for community pediatricians who prefer to have a MassGeneral Hospital for Children (MGHfC) attending physician care for their patients admitted to the hospital.
- Physicians interested in transferring an inpatient from another facility to the hospitalist service should call the access line at 1-877-644-8988 and press option 3
In addition to caring for general pediatric patients, a primary goal of the hospitalist group is to improve coordination of care for children with chronic conditions or special heathcare needs, including multisystem pathologies. The hospitalist’s goal is to bring a unified thought process to treatment, while working with MGHfC’s talented subspecialists and allied health professionals. Additionally, hospitalists work to improve communication with primary care doctors to help children continue to receive optimal care after they have left the hospital.
Meet the Team
Other goals include:
- Supporting residents when they are called for consultation to different parts of the hospital or to Spaulding Rehabilitation Hospital, the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary and Shriners Hospitals for Children® - Boston
- Improving residents’ access to attendings
- Increased educational participation by the community teaching attending as well as the hospitalists
- Better continuity of care for children with multiple admissions
- Improved communication both within the hospital and with outside referring docs
Members of the group have clinical interests and expertise including:
- Infectious disease
- Adolescent medicine
- General pediatrics
- Newborn medicine
- Public health
- Global Health
- Health Services Research
The hospitalist group stands ready to help referring physicians as their patients transition into and back out of the hospital. Hospitalists’ intimate knowledge of consulting staff, nurses and residents helps families receive better coordinated and more consistent care during the challenging time of their child’s illness.
Physicians interested in transferring an inpatient from another facility to the hospitalist service at MGHfC should call the MGHfC access line at 1-877-644-8988 and press option 3. Physicians interested in referring or admitting patients from their office can reach the pediatric hospitalist on call 24 hours a day via the page operator (pager 21900 at any time).