Child Life Services at MassGeneral Hospital for Children assists children and adolescents coping with illness and medical treatment.
The program is dedicated to creating a comfortable, therapeutic and family-centered environment. Our goal is to optimize a patient’s growth and development, decrease anxiety and foster positive coping skills. Medical preparation and procedural support, offered by Child Life, helps patients gain a sense of mastery over their health care experiences. We encourage play opportunities and peer socialization to help normalize the hospital setting.
Child Life Specialists are certified in the assessment and treatment of the developmental, emotional and psychosocial issues of children. As members of the health care team, we provide consultation and intervention services regarding child development and the impact of illness, injury and hospitalization on children and families.
Meet the Team
Ellison 17 (Infant, Toddler, & Preschool Unit)
Office Phone: 617-724-5727
Marilyn Gifford, CCLS, email@example.com
Ashley Reardon, CCLS, firstname.lastname@example.org
Eva Mintz-Bacon, MS, CCLS, email@example.com
Ellison 18 (School Age & Adolescent Unit)
Office Phone: 617-724-5839
Anne Bouchard Pizzano, MS, CCLS firstname.lastname@example.org
Sacha Field, MS, CCLS, email@example.com
Pediatric Intensive Care Unit & Emergency Department
Office Phone: 617-643-9276
Hillary D’Amato, MS, CCLS, firstname.lastname@example.org
Center for Perioperative Care (Pediatrics)
Office Phone: 617-643-9276
Melissa Tecci, MS, CCLS, email@example.com
Office Phone: 617-724-1153
Katie Weagle, MS, CCLS, firstname.lastname@example.org
Hematology, Oncology & Proton Radiation Center
Office Phone: 617-643-1819
Heather Peach, MS, CCLS, email@example.com
Caroline Armington, MS, CCLS firstname.lastname@example.org
Office Phone: 857-238-7347
Jamie Rossi, MS, CCLS email@example.com
- Hospital pre-admission tours and education by appointment.
- Support to patients and families before, during and after medical procedures.
- Therapeutic play and recreational activities to monitor intellectual, motor, emotional and social development in a comforting, child-centered environment.
- Educational and supportive services for staff, patients, families and school systems, emphasizing emotional needs and comprehensive health care.
Inpatient Special Programs:
- Music Therapy
- Artist in Residence
- Pet Therapy
- Hole in the Wall Volunteers
- Angels Above theme parties and patient visits
- Child Life volunteers
- Starlight Foundation monthly activities
- Parent coffee hours
Child Life Internships:
- Currently, we are not accepting child life internship applications for the Fall of 2013
- Spring placement application deadline 9/5, offer deadline 10/12, acceptance deadline 10/13
- Fall placement application deadline 5/5, offer deadline 6/12, acceptance deadline 6/13
- Internship Coordinator: Anne Bouchard Pizzano 617-724-5839
- We do NOT accept the child life common application
- For additional child life internship information, please refer to the following resources:
We respect that the family is the center of a child’s life and we welcome families to participate in every aspect of their child’s care.
Help to bring smiles and cheer to the children and families at MassGeneral Hospital for Children during the holidays.