Audiology services at MassGeneral Hospital for Children are provided by licensed, certified audiologists from the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary, which adjoins the hospital.
Audiology services at MassGeneral Hospital for Children are provided by licensed, certified audiologists from the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary (MEEI), which adjoins the hospital. MEEI audiologists work closely with pediatric specialists at MassGeneral Hospital for Children to ensure early identification and appropriate management of hearing loss and are recognized as a major regional resource for the comprehensive evaluation of hearing in newborns.
A Comprehensive Range of Services
MEEI audiologists are equipped to perform the full range of age-appropriate diagnostic procedures to identify and characterize hearing loss. Our audiologists have extensive experience with management of hearing loss with hearing aids, cochlear implants and other rehabilitative strategies in children of all ages.
We provide the following specialty care for infants and children:
- Level One Approved Audiological Assessment/Diagnostic Center (Highest level as designated by Massachusetts Department of Public Health Universal Newborn Hearing Screening Program)
- Age-appropriate evaluation of hearing threshold and speech understanding
- Auditory evoked response (AER, ABR, BAER) measures
- Otoacoustic emission measures
- Tests of middle ear function (e.g., tympanometry)
- Auditory rehabilitation
- Cochlear implant evaluation, mapping, follow-up services
- Hearing aid evaluation, sales, fitting, follow-up services
- Ear protection, swim molds, hearing aid earmolds
A Tradition of Caring
At MassGeneral Hospital for Children, we know that the time of your child’s diagnosis and treatment is a very stressful one and we strive to provide an open, welcoming environment. We believe that no one knows a child as well as the parent does: parents, along with primary care providers, become our partners in a child's care and have an active voice in all treatment plans.
For additional information about audiology programs and specific procedures, please visit the MEEI website.
MGHfC Pediatric AudiologyMassachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
234 Charles Street
Boston, MA 02114
TDD Phone: 617-523-5498
(for the hearing impaired)
Hours: 8:30 am-5 pm, Monday-Friday
Public Transportation Access: yes
Disabled Access: yes
Hearing Aid and Cochlear Implant Center:
Phone: 617-573-4047 | Fax: 617-573-3233
We respect that the family is the center of a child’s life and we welcome families to participate in every aspect of their child’s care.
At MassGeneral Hospital for Children, members of the patient’s care team work together to provide coordinated, multidisciplinary treatment.