Pediatric Physical Therapy
Pediatric physical therapists at MassGeneral Hospital for Children support a child’s motor development in order to maximize his/her function and independence in all settings: home, school and in the community.
Meet the Team
Physical therapists at MassGeneral Hospital for Children support a child’s motor development in order to maximize his/her function and independence in all settings: home, school and in the community. Our Physical Therapy service provides children with evaluation and treatment related to the following:
- Musculoskeletal, neurologic, orthopaedic disorders
- Balance and coordination problems
- Gait disorders
- Delayed gross motor development
- Infant torticollis/plagiocephaly
- Posture and movement abnormalities
- Equipment and seating needs
- Consultation to schools and daycare
Therapists treat patients at our main campus in Boston and at our community-based healthcare centers in Chelsea, Revere, Charlestown and Waltham.
At each location, our pediatric physical therapists are committed to continuing MassGeneral Hospital for Children's tradition of excellence and equal access to care for all patients. We are dedicated to providing all of our patients, their families and our surrounding communities with compassionate, culturally-sensitive care guided by the latest developments in therapeutic and rehabilitative practice.
We believe pediatric physical therapists are an integral part of the health care team. We coordinate care among providers including Speech, Language and Swallowing Disorders, Occupational Therapy, referring physicians, community services and school systems. Physical therapists work with children of all ages, from premature infants to young adults.
Children receive a thorough evaluation and treatment that focuses on promoting the highest level of function. Pediatric physical therapists work in partnership with families to establish meaningful goals, and they provide interventions that are developmentally appropriate, in a child-friendly environment. Communication with the child, parents and other specialists on the team is the cornerstone of all clinical care.
Pediatric Physical Therapy Team
Our team provides personalized and comprehensive assessment and management of children and adolescents. The speech language pathologist, occupational therapist and physical therapist work together as a collaborative team to service children with medical, psychological, developmental and learning needs. Members of the Physical Therapy Team provide intervention, education, resources and support to foster each child's developing needs.
An evaluation by the Pediatric Physical Therapy Team is a one-day evaluation by Speech, Language and Swallowing Disorders, Occupational Therapy and/or Physical Therapy. We administer these evaluations on the same day, for the convenience of the parents and child, as well as for the benefit of immediate collaboration between the therapists. Referrals to the team may be made by contacting the Pediatric Therapy Team assistant at 617-724-0767.
MGHfC Physical TherapyWang Ambulatory Care Center
55 Fruit Street
Boston , MA 02114
Public Transportation Access: yes
Disabled Access: yes
Pediatric Therapy Team Assistant:Phone: 617-724-0767
Additional information for outpatients:
All patients of the MassGeneral Hospital for Children Physical Therapy Service must be registered with the hospital before the date of their appointment. Please call the Mass General Registration and Referral Center at 866-211-6588 to receive a Mass General Medical Record Number (MRN). The center is open Monday through Thursday, 8:00 am to 6:00 pm and on Friday from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. You may also obtain an MRN by stopping by the patient registration office on the first floor in the Wang Building or in the Yawkey Center on the Mass General main campus.
Please bring the following to each appointment:
- Photo ID
- Mass General Medical Record Number (MRN)
- Current insurance card
- If this is a work related injury, worker's compensation information and contacts' telephone numbers
- If this is related to a motor vehicle accident, name of insurance company this episode will be billed under
- If your insurance requires that you obtain authorization from your Primary Care Physician, it is your responsibility to contact the doctor's office and obtain this information in advance of your first visit.
- If you have any questions about your insurance coverage, you should contact the member services representative of your insurance carrier (the number is often on your insurance card) or our insurance coordinators would be happy to assist you, 617-726-2961.
- Insurance Copays are expected at the time of each visit
To schedule an appointment with a MassGeneral for Children pediatric specialist, please call 888-644-3248 or complete our online appointment form to request an appointment.
Physicians may call 888-644-3211 or use the online referral form and the Access & New Appointment Center will call your patient within 1 business day.