Inside This Issue
Cardiovascular Advances at Massachusetts General Hospital is a physician-to-physician news magazine published by the Corrigan Minehan Heart Center and the Fireman Vascular Center.
Pulmonary embolism calls for a coordinated clinical approach, and its incidence in the United States is on the rise.
New developments in ventricular-assist devices may address earlier problems.
When cardiac resynchronization therapy does not help, many treatment options still exist for heart failure patients.
- View new leadership and appointments, and meet our new physicians
- Learn more about world-class care at Mass General
- Explore related news, events and multimedia at Mass General
View articles from our first issue:
Duke Cameron, MD
Advanced Heart Failure and Transplant Cardiology
Preventative & General Cardiology
Cardio-Oncology & General Cardiology
Massachusetts General Hospital provides expert care in virtually every specialty and subspecialty of medicine and surgery. We are committed to delivering the most advanced and compassionate care, pushing the boundaries of medicine, educating the next generation of care providers and researchers, and making a difference in the health of the communities we serve.
- Consistently ranked among the top-three hospitals by U.S. News & World Report—named the No.1 hospital in America in 2012 and 2015
- Original and largest Harvard Medical School teaching hospital
- Top independent hospital-based research program and top recipient of research funding from the NIH
- More articles published in high-impact journals than any other hospital in America—Nature Index, 2015
- Recipient of the 2015 Foster G. McGaw Prize for Excellence in Community Service
- Top medical and surgical residency institution in America—Doximity, 2015
- Magnet® hospital for nursing excellence
- 195 cardiac specialists; more than 100,000 cardiology patient visits annually
- 75 vascular specialists; more than 19,000 vascular patient visits annually
- Pioneers in device development, minimally invasive treatment techniques, and research and clinical trials
News & Events
- Mass General named among America's top hospitals
- Mass General receives awards for exceptional stroke care
- 2016's Top 4 Advances in Cardiology
- Healthy lifestyle can greatly reduce genetic heart attack risk
- Stress-associated brain activity connected with cardiovascular risk
- International studies identify 44 novel gene sites associated with hypertension risk
- CME: Cardiology Board Review
August 4-6, 2017
Join Massachusetts General Hospital for a three-day intensive live and on-demand online course for the preparation for the Cardiovascular Board Certification and Re-certification Examination.
Learn more and register
Dolly’s Story: Getting Back on Her Feet
Dolly Lakkis—a business owner, optician and competitive dancer—didn’t have time to be sick. When mitral valve disease started to affect the quality of her life, she turned to a team of Mass General specialists. Dolly’s doctors were able to repair her damaged heart valve with minimally invasive surgery that got her back on her feet—and back on the dance floor—as quickly as possible. Watch video
Jessica's Story: A Stroke Survivor
Jessica Diaz had a stroke caused by a small hole in her heart, which had allowed a blood clot to travel to her brain. As a young and active mother of two, Jessica worked with a team of Mass General doctors to not only repair her heart, but determine a treatment plan to minimize future health risks. Watch video