The following summarizes recent news and upcoming events featuring investigators from the HDSC:
Blum Shared Decision Making Talks
A series of talks are offered at the Blum Patient and Family Learning Center to promote active and shared decision making between patients and clinicians at MGH. Open to MGH staff, patients and the general public, the monthly talks are held from 12:00 - 1:00pm and feature a video followed by a Q&A session from a Mass General staff expert . No registration needed. Call 617-724-7352 for more information.
Upcoming Blum Shared Decision Making talks:
- 3/13/14 at 12pm, Colon Cancer Screening with Dr. Daniel Chung
- 4/29/14 at 12pm, Managing Menopause Symptoms with Dr. Jan Leslie Shifren
- 5/14/14 at 12pm, Coping with Symptoms of Depression with Dr. John Matthews & Dr. Paola Pedrelli
Past Blum Shared Decision Making talks:
- 2/26/13 at 12pm, Coronary Heart Disease with Dr. Doreen Yeh
- 3/21/13 at 12pm, Colon Cancer Screening with Dr. Daniel Chung
- 4/10/13 at 12pm, Treatment Choices for Uterine Fibroids with Dr. Jolin
- 5/30/13 at 12pm, Coping with Symptoms of Depression with Dr. Yeung & Dr. Petersen
- 6/28/13 at 12pm, Hip Osteoarthritis with Dr. Kwon and Janet Dorrwachter, N.P
- 10/10/13 at 12pm, When Should I Have a Mammogram? : Understanding your Options with Dr. Karen Carlson, Dr. Leigh Simmons and Karen Sepucha, PhD
- 11/4/13 at 12pm, Diabetes with Dr. Deborah Wexler
- 12/3/13 at 12pm, Help for Anxiety: Treatments that Work with Dr. Luana Marques
- 1/22/14 at 12pm, Chronic Low Back Pain: Managing Your Pain and Your Life with Dr. Steve Atlas and Diane Plante
- 2/4/14 at 12pm, Coronary Heart Disease with Dr. Rory Weiner
Past Shared Decision Making News and Events:
March is shared decision making month!
The Informed Medical Decision Foundation is sponsoring a series of events in honor of Shared Decision Making month!
Shared Decision Making (SDM) Month provides the unique opportunity to bring together the many organizations and individuals working to advance shared decision making. By definition, shared decision making is a collaborative process and so is this initiative. The many contributors to SDM Month have volunteered their time and talents to spread the word of shared decision making as a critical component of medical decision making along the continuum of care.
What Makes a Good Medical Decision? Defining and Implementing Decision Quality Measures
Please join us on March 21, 2013 at 1pm EST for a FREE webinar on decision quality measures. During this hour-long session, you’ll hear about the pioneer decision quality research conducted at Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) that has resulted in a well-tested set of questions to measure the process of medical decision making. You’ll also hear about how these measures are being put into practice.
Following the presentation, panelists will take questions from attendees. Panelists will include: Floyd J. Fowler Jr., PhD, senior scientific advisor at the Informed Medical Decisions Foundation; Karen R. Sepucha, PhD, Director of the Health Decisions Sciences Center at MGH; and Dale Collins Vidal, MD, professor of surgery at the Giesel School of Medicine at Dartmouth and chief of plastic surgery at Dartmouth-Hitchcock Medical Center (DHMC).
For more information and to register for the webinar, please visit the Informed Medical Decisions Foundation's website.
Dartmouth Summer Institute for Informed Patient Choice: The 6th annual Summer Institute for Informed Patient Choice will be held July 9-11, 2012 in Hanover, NH. Co-Directed by Dr. Dale Vidal and Dr. Karen Sepucha, this year's Institute "Measuring Shared Decision Making in Practice" will highlight the work of Glyn Elwyn, Margie Godfrey, Susan Edgman-Levitan, Elliott Fisher, Gene Nelson and others. Please visit (http://tdi.dartmouth.edu/centers/informed-choice/siipc/) for more information and registration details. Follow us on Twitter @InformUrChoice and check out our YouTube Channel InformedChoiceTDI for segments from our 2011 Summer Institute speakers.