Dr. Mark is recognized as a leading international expert in Wegener's granulomatosis in the lung, and of hypersensitivity pneumonitis. He is a senior pulmonary pathologist and educator at Mass General.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Cardiovascular pathology
- Autopsy Pathology
- Frozen Section Pathology
- Medical Education
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology & Clinical Pathology
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
Dr. Mark is also Adjunct Professor in the department of Biomedical Sciences at the Tufts University/Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine.
Dr. Mark's principal clinical interest is in medical lung diseases including interstitial pneumonitis and vasculitis. He has contributed seminal work in the field of Wegener's granulomatosis in the lung and of hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
Dr. Mark has published extensively including a single author book on pulmonary pathology and has co-written a consultative atlas covering challenging cases collected from his personal files. He contributed to Spencer’s Pathology of the Lung, an encyclopedic treatise on pulmonary pathology edited by Drs. Flieder and Hazelton, and published in 2013. Other recent work includes studies on molecular testing for lung cancers and hypersensitivity pneumonitis.
He is the senior director of the annual week-long course Current Concepts in Surgical Pathology now in its 37th edition and attended by pathologists from around the world. Dr. Mark is also a regular speaker at national and international courses such as the Harvard Medical School Current Concepts in Head and Neck & Endocrine Pathology, offered June 3-6, 2015, at The Fairmont Copley Plaza Hotel in Boston, MA.
As part of Pathology's Global Health Program, Dr. Mark is currently working to establish an outreach program with pathologists in China and Iran.
- Research Summary
Dr. Mark's research interests include clinical and pathological correlations of pulmonary interstitial disease, infections, pneumoconioses, congenital anomalies of the lung, pulmonary vascular disease, neoplasms of the lung and pleura. Consultation series of 12,000 lung biopsies available for review.
For more information about research concepts, co-authors, timeline, and more, visit Dr. Mark's profile at the Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center.
- Diagnosing lung carcinomas with optical coherence tomography. Hariri LP, Mino-Kenudson M, Lanuti M, Miller AJ, Mark EJ, Suter MJ. Ann Am Thorac Soc. 2015 Feb;12(2):193-201. doi: 10.1513/AnnalsATS.201408-370OC.
- Case records of the Massachusetts General Hospital. Case 39-2014. A 9-year-old girl with Crohn?s disease and pulmonary nodules. Nelson BA, Kaplan JL, El Saleeby CM, Lu MT, Mark EJ. N Engl J Med. 2014 Dec 18;371(25):2418-27.
- Interinstitutional Whole Slide Imaging Teleconsultation Service Development: Assessment Using Internal Training and Clinical Consultation Cases. Jones NC, Nazarian RM, Duncan LM, Kamionek M, Lauwers GY, Tambouret RH, Wu CL, Nielsen GP, Brachtel EF, Mark EJ, Sadow PM, Grabbe JP, Wilbur DC. Arch Pathol Lab Med. 2014 Nov 21. [Epub ahead of print]
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696