Arthur Sober, MD is a renowned expert on the diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer.
Accepting new cutaneous melanoma patients only.
- Clinical Interests
- Skin cancer
- Dermatology (general)
- Medical Education
- MD, George Washington University School of Medicine
- Residency, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center|Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
Arthur J. Sober, M.D. is board-certified in dermatology and internal medicine. Dr. Sober is the former Medical Director of Dermatology at Massachusetts General Hospital and a Professor at Harvard Medical School.
Dr. Sober was born in Washington, DC, earned his BA and M.D. at George Washington University, and completed his internship and residency in internal medicine and dermatology in Boston at the Harvard Combined Residency Program. He has been teaching at Harvard Medical School since 1974, earning a professorship in 1996. He has received numerous awards, including an honorary Master of Arts degree from Harvard University, and has been involved on countless scientific program committees.
In 2010, the American Academy of Dermatology honored Dr. Sober and presented him with the Astellas Award for his research that has had a profound impact on the way people monitor their skin for changes, as well as on the diagnosis and treatment of skin cancer. He has been active with the American Cancer Society, the American Joint Commission on Cancer, the National Cancer Center Network, and the WHO Melanoma Programme.
His clinical research interests center around melanoma. Publications include the Year Book of Dermatology series (1983-1997), chapters in eight editions of Harrison's Principles of Internal Medicine, and more than 200 papers, as well as several books on melanoma and pigmented lesions, including the editorship of four editions of Balch's Cutaneous Melanoma.
50 Staniford Street
Boston MA, 02114-2517