Ramnik Joseph Xavier, MD, PhD
Chief, Gastrointestinal Unit
Director, Center for the Study of Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Kurt Isselbacher Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
- Department of Medicine
- Digestive Healthcare Center
- Liver Center
- Crohn's & Colitis Center
- Colorectal Center
- Clinical Interests
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn's disease
- Celiac disease
- Autoimmune disorders of the GI tract
- Gastrointestinal cancer
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Education
- PhD, University of Groningen - Netherlands
- MD, University of Zimbabwe School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Gastroenterology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Accepting New Primary Care Patients
- No - Not Accepting new primary care patients
Accepting New Specialty Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
ForMost Managed Care
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Railroad Medicare - ACD
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Elected Member, American Association of Physicians
- Senior Associate Member, Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
- Principal Investigator, Center for Computational and Integrative Biology
View my most recent publications at PubMed
- Xavier RJ, Podolsky DK. Unraveling the pathogenesis of IBD. Nature 2007 Jul 26; 448(7152):427-34.
- Khor B, Gardet A, Xavier RJ. Genetics and pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease. Nature 2011 Jun 15; 474(7351):307-17.
MGH Hotline 01.08.09 Ramnik Xavier, MD, has assumed the position of chief of the Gastroenterology Division beginning Jan. 1.
The Broad Institute and MGH are launching a new initiative to perform large-scale exome sequencing in inflammatory bowel disease.
A multi-institutional study led by investigators from MGH and the Broad Institute has identified how the intestinal microbial population of newly diagnosed Crohn's disease patients differs from that of individuals free of inflammatory bowel disease.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.