Ramnik Joseph Xavier, MD, PhD
Chief, Gastrointestinal Unit
Director, Center for the Study of Inflammatory Bowel Disease
Kurt Isselbacher Professor of Medicine, Harvard Medical School
- Department of Medicine
- Digestive Healthcare Center
- Liver Center
- Crohn's & Colitis Center
- Colorectal Center
- Clinical Interests
- Ulcerative colitis
- Crohn's disease
- Celiac disease
- Autoimmune disorders of the GI tract
- Gastrointestinal cancer
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Education
- PhD, University of Groningen - Netherlands
- MD, University of Zimbabwe School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Gastroenterology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Accepting New Primary Care Patients
- No - Not Accepting new primary care patients
Accepting New Specialty Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
ForMost Managed Care
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Railroad Medicare - ACD
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Elected Member, American Association of Physicians
- Senior Associate Member, Broad Institute of MIT and Harvard
- Principal Investigator, Center for Computational and Integrative Biology
View my most recent publications at PubMed
- Xavier RJ, Podolsky DK. Unraveling the pathogenesis of IBD. Nature 2007 Jul 26; 448(7152):427-34.
- Khor B, Gardet A, Xavier RJ. Genetics and pathogenesis of inflammatory bowel disease. Nature 2011 Jun 15; 474(7351):307-17.
MGH Hotline 01.08.09 Ramnik Xavier, MD, has assumed the position of chief of the Gastroenterology Division beginning Jan. 1.
The Broad Institute and MGH are launching a new initiative to perform large-scale exome sequencing in inflammatory bowel disease.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.