Gus J. Vlahakes, MD, is a board-certified cardiac surgeon at Massachusetts General Hospital. Dr. Vlahakes is a member of the Mass General Corrigan Minehan Heart Center and specializes in all phases of adult cardiac surgery.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Adult congenital cardiac surgery
- Valvular heart disease; mitral valve reconstruction
- Surgery of electrophysiologic disorders
- Cardiac transplantation and circulatory support
- Cardiac (heart) surgery
- Medical Education
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Beth Israel Deaconess Medical Center|Fellowship, Cardiovascular Research Institute|Fellowship, Children's Hospital Boston
- Board Certifications
- Thoracic Surgery (Cardiothoracic Vascular Surgery)
- Surgical Critical Care
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - SSN
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
Gus J. Vlahakes, MD, is an engineering and biochemistry graduate of Massachusetts Institute of Technology. He received his Medical Degree from Harvard Medical School and trained in General Surgery and Cardiothoracic Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital and Children's Hospital, Boston. He completed a three-year cardiac physiology fellowship at the Cardiovascular Research Institute at the University of California, San Francisco. He is board certified in surgery, cardiothoracic surgery, and surgical critical care.
Dr. Vlahakes is a widely published expert on complex heart conditions. He serves in several leadership roles at Mass General, including the Corrigan Minehan Heart Center Cardio-Oncology steering committee and the Mass General Critical Care Center Operations Committee.
- Research Summary
Dr. Vlahakes conducts research relevant to mitral valve physiology in heart failure and right heart function.
Massachusetts General Hospital offers specialized operation to remove chronic blood clots from pulmonary arteries
Massachusetts General Hospital offers pulmonary thromboendarterectomy (PTE), a highly specialized operation to remove chronic blood clots in the lungs. Without surgery, patients who have this life-threatening disease will likely develop progressive shortness of breath so severe that it leads to heart failure.
Throughout the month of February, our doctors and specialists in the Massachusetts General Hospital Institute for Heart, Vascular and Stroke Care will be sharing their expertise on various heart conditions and offering prevention tips in recognition of American Heart Month. Roughly one in every four deaths in the U.S. each year is due to heart disease, making it the leading cause of death for Americans.
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114-2696
Phone 1: 617-726-1861