Dr. Black-Schaffer is nationally recognized by CAP as a leading advocate of enhancing resident education. He is a regular discussant of healthcare policy, cost and quality at Association of Directors of Anatomic and Surgical Pathology events.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Gynecologic pathology
- Medical Education
- MD, Indiana University
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology & Clinical Pathology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
Stephen Black-Schaffer, MD, is Associate Professor of Pathology at Harvard Medical School and Associate Chief of Pathology at Mass General, Pathology Residency Training Program Director, and a surgical pathologist and cytopathologist.
Steve is a past chair of the Program Directors Section at the Association of Pathology Chairs. He is chair of the ACGME Cytopathology Milestone Working Group; led the Pathologists Workforce Summit Group for the College of American Pathologists (CAP) in 2013; is vice-chair of CAP's Economic Affairs Committee and on CAP's Accountable Care Organization Steering Committee and Council on Governmental and Professional Affairs. He is the Medicare Contractor Advisory Committee (CAC) representative for the Massachusetts Society of Pathologists, of which he is a past president. He is chair of Massachusetts General Physicians Organization's Managed Care and Contracting Committee, and the Partners Healthcare System Physician Fee Council, and a member of Partners' Pioneer Accountable Care Organization (ACO) Governing Council.
- Research Summary
Research interests include:
- Cytopathology diagnosis and practice
- Pathology graduate medical education
- Management and organization in academic pathology
- Interaction between finance and regulation and the practice of pathology
View Dr. Black-Schaffer's profile at Harvard Clinical and Translational Science Center.
The Pathology Milestones and the Next Accreditation System. Naritoku WY, Alexander CB, Bennett BD, Black-Schaffer WS, Brissette M, Grimes MM, Hoffman RD, Hunt J, Iezzoni J, Johnson R, Kozel J, Mendoza R, Post MD, Powell SZ, Procop GW, Steinberg JJ, Thorsen L, Nestler SP. Arch Pathol Lab Med 2014; 138(3):307-15.
Utilization management in anatomic pathology. Lewandrowski K, Black-Schaffer S. Clin Chim Acta 2014; 427:183-7.
The business of genomic testing: a survey of early adopters. The business of genomic testing: a survey of early adopters. Crawford JM, Bry L, Pfeifer J, Caughron SK, Black-Schaffer S, Kant JA, Kaufman JH. Genet Med 2014 Jul 10. doi: 10.1038/gim.2014.60. [Epub ahead of print]
MGH Hotline 10.15.10 In General awards and honors
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114-2696
Phone 1: 617-724-1463