MGH Patients please call: 617-726-2664 Down Syndrome Patients who see Dr. Lai at Mclean Hospital should call: 617-855-2354
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Learning disabilities
- Attention deficit disorder
- Alzheimer's disease in down syndrome
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Pennsylvania School of Medicine
- Residency, Boston Medical Center|Residency, Bronx Municipal Hospital Center
- Board Certifications
- Neurology with Special Qualifications in Child Neurology
- Belmont: McLean Hospital
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
- Research Summary
- 1984-1989. NICHD. Optimizing selective attention in mental retardation: project 6 "Functional decline in Down sydrome individuals over age 40 in a longitudinal study". Clinical collaborator. Marcel Kinsbourne, P.I.
1992-1993. Alzheimer's Association/Thomas . Klutznick Co. pilot research grant."Neurologic and neuropsychologic evaluations in pre-demented Down syndrome individuals". Principal investigator.
1995-1994. NIA. Pilot PI for " Down syndrome pilot studies: Alzheimer's disease diagnosis in Down syndrome."
LEAD Award "Proteolysis in Alzheimer's disease pathogenesis. RA Nixon, PI
1998-2003. Consultant for NIA study, "Epidemiology of menopause and dementia in Down syndrome" N. Schupf, PI
1999-2010. Site PI for NIA/NICHD/National Institute of Complementary and Alternative Medicine study "A mutlicenter Vitamin E Trial in aging persons with Down syndrome" Project directors: AJ Dalton, PS Aisen, MC Sano
- Lai F, Williams RS. A prospective study of Alzheimer disease in Down syndrome. Arch Neurol 1989;46(8):849-853.
Lai F Clinicopathologic features of Alzheimer disease in Down syndrome. Progress in Clinical Biological Research 1992; 379:15-34.
Hyman BT, West HL, Rebeck GW, Lai F, Mann DMA. Neuropathological changes in Down syndrome hippocampal formation: effect of age and apolipoprotein E genotype. Arch Neurol 1995; 52:373-378.
Alyward EH, Burt DB, Thorpe LU, Lai F, Dalton AJ. Diagnosis of dementia in individuals with intellectual disability. J Intellect Disab Res 1997; 41:152-164.
Lai F, Kammann E, Rebeck GW, Anderson AJ, Chen Y, Nixon RA. ApoE and gender effects on Alzheimer disease in 100 adults with Down syndrome. Neurology 1999; 53:331-336.
Schupf N, Pang D, Patel, SLiverman, Schubert R, Lai F, Kline Jk, Stern Y, Ferin M, Tycko B, Maeux R. Onset of dementia is associated with age at menopause in women with Down syndrome. Annals of Neurology 2003; 54:433-438.
Sano M, Aisen PS, Dalton AJ, Andrews HF, Tsai WY (Lai F as part of the International Down Syndrome and Alzheimer's Disease Consortium). Assessment of aging individuals with Down syndrome in clinical trials: results of baseline measures. J Policy Practice in Intell Disabiliteis 2005:126-138.
Wegiel J, Kaczmarski W, Barua M et al (including Lai F). Link between KYRK1A overexpression and several-fold endhancement of neurofibrillary degeneration with 3-repeat tau protein in Down syndrome. J. Neuropathol Exp Neurol 2011;70:36-50.
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114-2696
115 Mill Street
Belmont MA, 02478-9106