Dr. Gonzalez is chief of the Division of Neuroradiology in the Department of Radiology.
- Centers & Specialties
- Neuro-Oncology (Brain)
- Clinical Interests
- Neuro AIDS
- Brain tumors
- Stroke Imaging
- Transcranial doppler of acute stroke and carotid occlusive
- Carotid occlusive disease
- multiple sclerosis
- Non-invasive neurovascular imaging
- Medical Education
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- PhD, University of California - Santa Cruz
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
G Öz, JR Alger, PB Barker, R Bartha, A Bizzi, C Boesch. Clinical proton MR spectroscopy in central nervous system disorders. Radiology, 2014.
RG Gonzalez, WA Copen. The Massachusetts General Hospital acute stroke imaging algorithm: an experience and evidence based approach. J Neurointerv Surg. 2013.
AJ Yoo, ZA Chaudhry, TM Leslie-Mazwi, RG Gonzalez. Endovascular treatment of acute ischemic stroke: current indications. BMC Neurology, 2011.
R Hakimelahi, AJ Yoo, J He, LH Schwamm, RG Gonzalez. Rapid identification of a major diffusion/perfusion mismatch in distal internal carotid artery or middle cerebral artery ischemic stroke. BMC Neurology, 2012.
DS Liebeskind, MW Parsons, M Wintermark, M Selim, RG Gonzalez. Computed Tomography Perfusion in Acute Ischemic Stroke Is It Ready for Prime Time? Stroke, 2015.
TH Burdo, P Autissier, JP Bombardier, C Soulas, RG Gonzalez. Minocycline Inhibition of Monocyte Activation Correlates with Neuronal Protection in SIV NeuroAIDS. PLoS ONE, 2011.
MH Lev, WS Smith, S Payabvash, GJ Harris, RG Gonzalez. Improved Outcome Prediction Using CT Angiography in Addition to Standard Ischemic Stroke Assessment: Results from the STOPStroke Study. PLoS ONE. 2012.
A recent Mass General study showed that a procedure called carotid-artery stenting is just as safe and effective in preventing stroke in patients with no symptoms as the standard surgical approach.
An MGH-developed system for determining which patients with severe strokes are most likely to benefit from catheter-based systems for blood clot removal led to a greater percentage of screened patients receiving treatment and to outcomes similar to recent studies that found significant treatment benefits.
The MGH Imaging Department recently honored Robert H. Ackerman, MD, MPH, director emeritus of the MGH Neurovascular Laboratory, for his work as a pioneer in stroke imaging and prevention.
55 Fruit St
Boston MA, 02114-2696
Phone 1: 617-726-8628
Phone 2: 617-726-8320