Dr. Masiakos is a pediatric and neonatal general surgeon who is an internationally recognized pediatric trauma surgeon and injury prevention specialist. He is a current member of the American College of Surgeons Committee on Trauma.
- Centers & Specialties
- Pectus Excavatum
- Surgery, Pediatric
- Thyroid Surgery, Pediatric & Adolescent
- Trauma Follow-Up, Pediatric
- Trauma Services, Pediatric
- Clinical Interests
- General pediatric surgery
- Inguino-scrotal pathology: undescended testicles, hernia, hydrocele, varicocele, testicular torsion
- Minimally invasive pediatric surgery
- Chest Wall Deformities (Pectus excavatum & Pectus Carinatum)
- Pilonidal disease
- Pediatric thoracic surgery
- Trauma and injury prevention
- Esophageal anomalies
- Thyroid surgery
- Pediatric Neoplasms
- Inflamatory Bowel Disease
- Medical Education
- MD, Boston University School of Medicine
- Residency, Boston Medical Center
- Fellowship, Toronto Hospital for Sick Children
- Board Certifications
- Pediatric Surgery
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Newton: Newton-Wellesley Hospital
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Pediatric and Adult
Peter T. Masiakos, MS, MD, FACS, FAAP is a Pediatric General and Thoracic Surgeon at MGH and Associate Professor at Harvard Medical School. He was trained at the Boston City Hospital and Hospital for Sick Children (Toronto), where he developed a clinical interest in pediatric trauma care and injury prevention. He is the director of the pediatric trauma surgery service at MGH and has become a vocal injury prevention advocate. He has broad interest in clinical surgery with a focus on general pediatric surgery (pediatric hernia repair, hydrocele repair, repair of undescended testicles, and umbilical hernia repair), esophageal anomalies, pectus excavatum and pectus carinatum repair, thyroid surgery and pilonidal disease.
Dr. Masiakos has been involved in successfully educating the Massachusetts legislature and the US Congress on the inherent risks that that certain products pose to children and has testified both at the Massachusetts state house and at the consumer product safety commission on the need for new legislation which would prohibit the use of ATVs within specific age groups. He has aided in the development and passage of several forward thinking injury prevention laws and continues to work alongside Massachusetts State Legislators and the Congress on several other comprehensive injury prevention laws including junior operator laws, safe driving laws and child restraint laws.
In 2006, Peter T. Masiakos, MD, saw firsthand the devastating effects that all-terrain vehicle (ATV) accidents can have on young children. This November, Masiakos traveled to Australia to present lessons learned since enacting a state law that has dramatically decreased the number of ATV accident-related injuries and deaths in children throughout Massachusetts.
Quality and cost are two of the most important drivers of innovation in health care today. At the MGH, the Bowditch Prize is awarded annually to individuals or groups who are able to achieve substantial improvement in both of these areas.
MGH Hotline 11.12.10 On Oct. 21, members of the MGH and MassGeneral Hospital for Children (MGHfC) gathered with state legislators and advocates to commemorate the passage of three Massachusetts child-safety laws.
MGH Hotline 08.06.10 The caregivers at the MGH and MassGeneral Hospital for Children (MGHfC) support the health and well-being of adults and children in many ways. Recently, several hospital caregivers and administrators went a step further in their support of the health of their communities when they played important roles advocating for several injury-prevention state laws.
At 29 weeks, Sophia O'Brien was born with multiple medical issues. But with help from her MassGeneral Hospital for Children team, she has grown into a healthy ballerina.
MGH Hotline 06.12.09 In what&rsquo;s become an annual tradition, residents, fellows and staff from MassGeneral Hospital for Children (MGHfC) made a special visit to the gold-domed building down the street to advocate for legislation affecting children's health.
MGH Hotline 4.3.09 It was just another soccer tournament for 14-year-old Megan Lund, a freshman at Needham High School, as she played on a field in Florida this past fall.
New MassGeneral Hospital for Children trauma clinic helps kids recover.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696