Dr. Hornicek is an accomplished surgeon and researcher who specializes in treating patients with bone and soft tissue tumors.
- Clinical Interests
- Benign bone and soft tissue tumors
- Malignant bone and soft tissue tumors
- Metastatic bone disease
- Bone infections
- Metabolic bone disease
- Medical Education
- PhD, Georgetown University School of Medicine
- MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Residency, Jackson Memorial Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Orthopaedic Surgery
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Danvers: The Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
Dr. Francis Hornicek graduated with a BA in biology and mathematics from Washington and Jefferson College. He earned his PhD in physics-biophysics from Georgetown University and his MD from the University of Pittsburgh. Dr. Hornicek completed his Orthopaedic Surgical Residency at the University of Miami and an Orthopaedic Oncology Fellowship at Massachusetts General Hospital and Children's Hospital Boston.
Dr. Hornicek serves as the:
- Chief of the Orthopaedic Oncology Service
- Vice-Chair for Research - Biologics, Department of Orthopaedic Surgery
- Co-Director of the Center for Sarcoma and Connective Tissue Oncology
- Director of the MGH Stephan L. Harris Chordoma Center
- Co-Leader of the Dana Farber/Harvard Cancer Center Sarcoma Group
He is an active educator of medical students, residents and fellows, and he is involved in important cancer research.
- Research Summary
Dr. Hornicek's clinical research interests include heterotopic ossification, allograft transplantation, immunotherapy, and outcome research for musculoskeletal tumors.
Dr. Hornicek's basic research efforts have focused on specific aspects of cell biology and more recently, molecular biology of sarcomas. Dr. Hornicek has also focused on the development of new chemotherapeutic drugs isolated from marine organisms for the treatment of sarcomas. This has led to clinical trials and patent applications. Dr. Hornicek plans to continue research efforts in the basic and clinical sciences and maintain integration with his clinical practice of orthopaedic oncology and tissue banking.
Yoon SS, Duda DG, Karl DL, Kim TM, Kambadakone AR, Chen YL, Rothrock C, Rosenberg AE, Nielsen GP, Kirsch DG, Choy E, Harmon DC, Hornicek FJ, Dreyfuss J, Ancukiewicz M, Sahani DV, Park PJ, Jain RK, Delaney TF. Phase II Study of Neoadjuvant Bevacizumab and Radiotherapy for Resectable Soft Tissue Sarcomas. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Oct 5.
Susa M, Choy E, Liu X, Schwab JH, Hornicek FJ, Mankin H, Duan Z. Cyclin G-associated kinase is necessary for osteosarcoma cell proliferation and receptor trafficking. Mol Cancer Ther. 2010 Sep 29.
Devisetty K, Kobayashi W, Suit HD, Goldberg SI, Niemierko A, Chen YL, Raskin KA, Schwab JH, Springfield DS, Yoon SS, Hornicek FJ, Delaney TF. Low-Dose Neoadjuvant External Beam Radiation Therapy for Soft Tissue Sarcoma. Int J Radiat Oncol Biol Phys. 2010 Sep 21.
Tejwani A, Kobayashi W, Chen YL, Rosenberg AE, Yoon S, Raskin KA, Rosenthal DI, Nielsen GP, Hornicek FJ, Delaney TF. Management of acral myxoinflammatory fibroblastic sarcoma. Cancer. 2010 Aug 24.
Guo Y, Nemeth JA, O'Brien C, Susa M, Liu X, Zhang Z, Choy E, Mankin H, Hornicek FJ, Duan Z. Effects of Siltuximab on the IL-6 Induced Signaling Pathway in Ovarian Cancer. Clin Cancer Res. 2010 Aug 10.
The Orthopaedic Spine Center hosted a two-day spine symposium in conjunction with the Peking University Third Hospital.
Anne Fiore, DNP, earned an Orthopaedic Clinical Research Award for her qualitative study about the aftermath of a staged oncology surgery.
Harvard Medical School promoted Francis J. Hornicek, MD, PhD, Orhun K. Muratoglu, PhD, David C. Ring, MD, PhD & Mark S. Vrahas, MD to professors of Orthopaedic Surgery.
Henry Mankin, MD, an honorary staff member and former chief of the MGH Department of Orthopædics, was recently recognized with a professorship named in his honor: the Henry J. Mankin, MD, Endowed Scholar in Orthopædics.
The 4th Annual Sacral Tumor Study Group Conference, a collaboration with Massachusetts General Hospital, the Mayo Clinic and the Memorial Sloan-Kettering Cancer Center, took place on January 19, 2013.
Boston Magazine recognizes 134 MGH physicians on its annual list of top doctors in the Boston area.
MGH Hotline 08.06.10 This summer, one MGH physician traded his white coat for a suit jacket and his stethoscope for a wedding ceremony script when he officiated the wedding of one of his longtime patients.
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, Suite 3B
Boston, MA 02114-2696
104 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923-3623