Sherri-Ann M. Burnett-Bowie, MD, MPH
Director, Multicultural Affairs
- Department of Medicine
- Cancer Center
- Endocrine Tumors
- Clinical Interests
- Vitamin D deficiency
- Adrenal nodules
- Adrenal insufficiency
- Kidney stones
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Education
- MPH, Harvard School of Public Health
- MD, University of Pittsburgh School of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Endocrinology, Diabetes & Metabolism, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Medicare - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Connecticut
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Railroad Medicare - ACD
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Sherri-Ann M. Burnett-Bowie MD, MPH is an Assistant Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School and a clinical investigator in the Massachusetts General Hospital (MGH) Endocrine Unit, where her research focuses on defining the physiology of a new mineral metabolism hormone, FGF23; skeletal and non-skeletal effects of vitamin D; and clinical trials of treatments for osteoporosis. She cares for patients seen at the MGH Endocrine Associates and the MGH Bone Density Center. Dr. Burnett-Bowie is an Associate Director of the MGH Multicultural Affairs Office and the Director for Multicultural Affairs for the Department of Medicine at MGH. Teaching and increasing diversity and inclusivity are central to her mission.
ResearchHer research is focused on defining the physiology of a new phosphate-regulating hormone, FGF23, skeletal and non-skeletal consequences of vitamin D deficiency, and clinical trials of treatments for osteoporosis.
- Burnett, SM, S Gunawardene, FR Bringhurst et al. Regulation of c-terminal and intact FGF23 by dietary phosphate in men and women. JBMR 2006.
- Burnett-Bowie, SM , BZ Leder, MP Henao et al. Randomized trial assessing the effects of ergocalciferol administration on circulating FGF23. CJASN 2012.
- Mitchell, DM, MP Henao, JS Finkelstein, SM Burnett-Bowie. Prevalence & predictors of vitamin D deficiency in healthy adults. JCEM 2012.
- Tsai, JN, Uihlein, AV, H Lee et al. Teriparatide & denosumab, alone or combined, in women with postmenopausal osteoporosis: the DATA study randomised trial. Lancet 2013
- Finkelstein , JS, H. Lee, SM Burnett-Bowie et al. Gonadal steroids & body composition, strength, and sexual function in men. NEJM 2013
In General awards and recognitions: May 4, 2012
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.