Dr. Faquin specializes in cytopathology of the head and neck, and of the thyroid gland. Additional specializations include HPV-related oropharyngeal cancer, salivary gland cancer, and poorly differentiated thyroid cancer.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Head and Neck Pathology
- Endocrine pathology
- Medical Education
- MD, Harvard Medical School
- PhD, Harvard University
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
Dr. Faquin received his MD from Harvard Medical School and PhD in cellular and developmental biology from Harvard University. He completed his residency in anatomic pathology at the Brigham and Women's Hospital where he also did a fellowship in cytopathology. Dr. Faquin has been a staff member in the Massachusetts General Hospital Pathology Department since 1998, and is currently the subspecialty head of the Head and Neck Pathology service at Massachusetts General Hospital. He is also director of Otolaryngologic Pathology (ENT) at the Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary (MEEI), and director of the Max Goodman Frozen Section Lab at MEEI. Dr. Faquin is recognized nationally and internationally for his work in head and neck cytopathology. He has authored over 190 peer-reviewed publications, several book chapters, and has co-authored books on thyroid cytopathology, salivary gland cytopathology, and head and neck cytohistology.
Dr. Faquin's talents as a teacher are evident in the numerous local, national, and international seminars, workshops, and courses that he has taught and directed. Dr. Faquin specializes in cytopathology of the head and neck and the thyroid gland, and his current research interests involve translational studies pertaining to the detection, diagnosis, and prognostication of cancers of the thyroid and salivary glands, squamous cell carcinomas of the oropharynx, and tumors of the jaws and oral cavity.
- Research Summary
Dr. Faquin combines his expertise in cytopathology (fine-needle aspiration cytology) and head and neck pathology to investigate key issues in the carcinogenesis of head and neck and thyroid neoplasia. He is involved in translational research pertaining to the detection, diagnosis, and prognostication of cancers involving the thyroid and salivary glands, squamous cell carcinomas of the oropharynx, and tumors of the jaws and oral cavity. Dr. Faquin is a member of the Center for Head and Neck Cancers at the Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center.
- HPV-related squamous cell carcinoma of the head and neck: An update on testing in routine pathology practice. Bishop JA, Lewis JS Jr, Rocco JW, Faquin WC. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2015 Feb 4. pii: S0740-2570(15)00014-3. doi: 10.1053/j.semdp.2015.02.013. [Epub ahead of print]
- Thyroid FNA: International perspectives from the European Congress of Cytopathology-Can we cross the bridge of classifications? Rossi ED, Pusztaszeri M, Schmitt F, Bongiovanni M, Chandra A, Faquin WC. Cancer Cytopathol. 2015 Jan 14. doi: 10.1002/cncy.21517. [Epub ahead of print] No abstract available.
- Cytologic evaluation of cervical lymph node metastases from cancers of unknown primary origin. Pusztaszeri MP, Faquin WC. Semin Diagn Pathol. 2014 Dec 20. pii: S0740-2570(14)00109-9. doi: 10.1053/j.semdp.2014.12.002. [Epub ahead of print]
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114-2696