Aria F. Olumi, MD, is a urologist at the Massachusetts General Hospital Department of Urology. He specializes in the treatment of cancer and related research.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Prostate cancer
- Kidney cancer
- Bladder cancer
- Testicular, penile and genito-urinary cancers
- Laparoscopic surgery, Robotic surgery, Open surgery
- Minimally invasive laser surgery for enlarged prostates
- Brachytherapy (radioactive seeds) for prostate cancer
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Southern California Keck School of Medicine
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, University of California, San Francisco
- Board Certifications
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
- Research Summary
- Dr. Olumi's laboratroy focuses on mechanisms of inducing death in cancer cells. The laboratory has been investigating the drug, TRAIL, that induces death in cancer cells, but not normal cells, therefore, patients experience minimal side effects from the drug. Since some cancer cells develop resistance to the drug, TRAIL, the laboratory is investigating molecular mechanisms to convert resistant cancer cells to become sensitive. The Olumi lab has identified two novel pathways of regulating resistant cancer cells (c-Fos and FBXL10). The research can lead to improvement of currently available cancer therapies and development of new cancer therapy agents.
Zhang X, Zhang L, Yang H, Huang, X, Otu H, Liberman T, DeWolf WC, Khosravi-Far R, Olumi AF. c-Fos as a pro-apoptotic agent in TRAIL-induced apoptosis in prostate cancer cells. Cancer Research, 2007, 67: 9425-34.
Li W, Wu CH, Febbo PG, Olumi AF. Stromally expressed c-Jun regulates proliferation of prostate epithelial cells. American Journal of Pathology, 2007, Oct;171:1189-98.
Zhang X*, Huang X*, Olumi AF (*contributed equally). Repression of NF-kB and Activation of AP-1 Enhance Apoptosis in Prostate Cancer Cells. International Journal of Cancer. 2009;124(8):1980-9.
Olumi AF, DeWolf WC. The Hybrid of Basic Science and Clinical Training for the Urologic Oncologist: Necessity or Waste? Urologic Oncology. 2009;27:205-7.
September is Prostate Health Month. MGH urologists discuss the prostate, its impact on men's health and offer advice on PSA screenings.
Same day surgery procedures: A patient education video
What to expect during admission for ambulatory procedures with short recovery time, allowing discharge that day.
Prostatectomy: A patient education video
What to expect during admission for a prostatectomy procedure. A prostatectomy is a surgical procedure to remove the prostate gland.
Nephrectomy: A patient education video
What to expect during admission for a nephrectomy procedure. A nephrectomy is a surgical procedure to remove all or part of the kidney. Surgery may involve one or both kidneys.
Cystectomy: A patient education video
What to expect during admission for a cystectomy procedure. A cystectomy is a surgical procedure to removal all or part of the urinary bladder.
15 Parkman St
Boston MA, 02114-3117
Phone 1: 617-643-0237