Gregory Yves Lauwers, MD
Vice Chairman of Pathology
Director of Gastrointestinal Pathology
Dr. Lauwers is an internationally recognized expert in gastrointestinal pathology. He is an invited speaker at all major national and international pathology meetings.
- Department of Pathology
- Cancer Center
- Gastrointestinal Cancers
- Digestive Healthcare Center
- Barrett's Esophagus Treatment Center
- Clinical Interests
- Gastrointestinal (GI) pathology
- Frozen Section Pathology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Education
- MD, Faculte de Medicine Paris VII
- Residency, Lenox Hill Hospital
- Fellowship, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Foreign Languages
- Accepting New Patients
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Medicare - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
OSW - Vermont
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Railroad Medicare - ACD
Senior Whole Health
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Dr. Lauwers's research has focused on oncologic surgical pathology of the gastrointestinal tract. Dr. Lauwers has published over 350 peer-reviewed articles, editorials, reviews, and book chapters, and he has been a regular invited speaker at all major national and international pathology meetings. Dr. Lauwers serves on the editorial boards of the American Journal of Surgical Pathology, the American Journal of Clinical Pathology, Modern Pathology, and Hepatogastroenterology,and the International Journal of Surgical Pathology. He is also Deputy Editor-in-Chief of the Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. He is co-author of several textbooks and a co-editor of the 5th edition of Morson and Dawson's Textbook of Gastrointestinal Pathology (2013).
Dr. Lauwers's research focuses on clinicopathologic studies of the gastrointestinal tract and hepatic malignancies. Specific interests include the early diagnosis and biologic behavior of premalignant lesions, particularly in the stomach and esophagus (Barrett esophagus). He is affiliated with the Tucker Gosnell Center for Gastrointestinal Cancers at the
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, and the Digestive Healthcare Center.
View my most recent publications at PubMed
- Lauwers GY, Fasano A, Brown IS. Duodenal lymphocytosis with no or minimal enteropathy: much ado about nothing? Mod Pathol 2015;28 Suppl1:S22-9.
- Arnason T, Brown IS, Goldsmith JD, Anderson W, O'Brien BH, Wilson C, Winter H, Lauwers GY. Collagenous gastritis: a morphologic and immunohistochemical study of 40 patients. Mod Pathol. 2015;28(4):533-44.
- Arnason T, Liang WY, Alfaro E, Kelly P, Chung DC, Odze RD, Lauwers GY. Morphology and natural history of familial adenomatous polyposis associated dysplastic fundic gland polyps. Histopathology. 2014;65(3):353-62.
- Liang WY, Zhang WJ, Hsu CJ, Arnason T, Berger D, Hawkins AT, Sylla P, Lauwers GY. Retrospective evaluation of elastic stain in the assessment of serosal invasion of pt3n0 colorectal cancers. Am J Surg Pathol. 2013 Oct:37(10):1565-70.
- Li Y, Chang X, Zhou W, Xiao Y, Nakatsuka LN, Chen J, Lauwers GY. Gastric intestinal metaplasia with basal gland atypia: a morphological and biologic evaluation in a large Chinese cohort. Hum Pathol. 2013 Apr;44(4):578-90.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.