Dr. Lauwers is an internationally recognized expert in gastrointestinal pathology. He is an invited speaker at all major national and international pathology meetings.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Gastrointestinal (GI) pathology
- Frozen Section Pathology
- Medical Education
- MD, Faculte de Medicine Paris VII
- Residency, Lenox Hill Hospital
- Fellowship, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
Dr. Lauwers's research has focused on oncologic surgical pathology of the gastrointestinal tract. Dr. Lauwers has published over 350 peer-reviewed articles, editorials, reviews, and book chapters, and he has been a regular invited speaker at all major national and international pathology meetings. Dr. Lauwers serves on the editorial boards of the American Journal of Surgical Pathology, the American Journal of Clinical Pathology, Modern Pathology, and Hepatogastroenterology,and the International Journal of Surgical Pathology. He is also Deputy Editor-in-Chief of the Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. He is co-author of several textbooks and a co-editor of the 5th edition of Morson and Dawson's Textbook of Gastrointestinal Pathology (2013).
- Research Summary
Dr. Lauwers's research focuses on clinicopathologic studies of the gastrointestinal tract and hepatic malignancies. Specific interests include the early diagnosis and biologic behavior of premalignant lesions, particularly in the stomach and esophagus (Barrett esophagus). He is affiliated with the Tucker Gosnell Center for Gastrointestinal Cancers at the
Massachusetts General Hospital Cancer Center, and the Digestive Healthcare Center.
- Lauwers GY, Fasano A, Brown IS. Duodenal lymphocytosis with no or minimal enteropathy: much ado about nothing? Mod Pathol 2015;28 Suppl1:S22-9.
- Arnason T, Brown IS, Goldsmith JD, Anderson W, O'Brien BH, Wilson C, Winter H, Lauwers GY. Collagenous gastritis: a morphologic and immunohistochemical study of 40 patients. Mod Pathol. 2015;28(4):533-44.
- Arnason T, Liang WY, Alfaro E, Kelly P, Chung DC, Odze RD, Lauwers GY. Morphology and natural history of familial adenomatous polyposis associated dysplastic fundic gland polyps. Histopathology. 2014;65(3):353-62.
- Liang WY, Zhang WJ, Hsu CJ, Arnason T, Berger D, Hawkins AT, Sylla P, Lauwers GY. Retrospective evaluation of elastic stain in the assessment of serosal invasion of pt3n0 colorectal cancers. Am J Surg Pathol. 2013 Oct:37(10):1565-70.
- Li Y, Chang X, Zhou W, Xiao Y, Nakatsuka LN, Chen J, Lauwers GY. Gastric intestinal metaplasia with basal gland atypia: a morphological and biologic evaluation in a large Chinese cohort. Hum Pathol. 2013 Apr;44(4):578-90.
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114-2696