Gregory Yves Lauwers, MD
Vice Chairman of Pathology
Director of Gastrointestinal Pathology
- Department of Pathology
- Cancer Center
- Gastrointestinal Cancers
- Digestive Healthcare Center
- Barrett's Esophagus Treatment Center
- Clinical Interests
- Gastrointestinal (GI)
- Fozen Section Pathology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Education
- MD, Faculte de Medicine Paris VII
- Residency, Lenox Hill Hospital
- Fellowship, Memorial Sloan Kettering Cancer Center
- Board Certifications
- Anatomic Pathology, American Board of Pathology
- Foreign Languages
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
ForMost Managed Care
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
OSW - Vermont
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Railroad Medicare - ACD
Tufts Health Plan
Tufts Medicare Advantage PPO
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Professor of Pathology
Harvard Medical School
Dr. Lauwers research has focused on oncologic surgical pathology in the gastrointestinal tract. Dr. Lauwers has published over 300 peer-reviewed articles, editorials, reviews and book chapters and has been a regular invited speaker at all major national and international pathology meetings. He is also Adjunct Professor of Pathology at Saitama Medical University in Japan. Dr Lauwers serves on the editorial boards of the American Journal of Surgical Pathology, American Journal of Clinical Pathology, as well as Modern Pathology and is Deputy Editor-in-Chief of the Archives of Pathology and Laboratory Medicine. He is co-author of several text books and a co-editor of the upcoming 4th edition of the "Tumors of the Esophagus and Stomach" published by the AFIP, and co-editor of the 5th edition of Morson and Dawson's Textbook of Gastrointestinal Pathology (2013).
Dr. Lauwers' research focuses on clinicopathologic studies of the gastrointestinal tract and hepatic malignancies. Specific interests include the early diagnosis and biologic behavior of premalignant lesions, particularly in the stomach and esophagus (Barrett esophagus).
View my most recent publications at PubMed
- Black-Schaffer WS, Floyd AD. Selection of operating wavelength-pair for two-wavelength microspectrophotometry. Am J Anat 1976; 146:455-60. Erratum. Am J Anat 1976; 147:265.
- Gonzalez-Crussi F, Black-Schaffer S. Rhabdomyosarcoma of infancy and childhood. Problems of morphologic classification. Am J Surg Pathol 1979; 3:157-71.
- Sherman ME, Black-Schaffer S. Diagnosis of thymoma by needle biopsy. Acta Cytol 1990; 34:63-8.
- Pitman MB, Black-Schaffer WS, Sherman ME. The diagnosis of adenoid cystic carcinoma in respiratory material. American Society of Clinical Pathologists Check Sample Program in Cytopathology 1991; 19:1-3.
- Pitman MB, Sherman ME, Black-Schaffer WS. The utility of fine-needle aspiration in the diagnosis of metastatic pulmonary adenoid cystic carcinoma. Otolaryngology: Head and Neck Surgery 1991; 104:441-7.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.