- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Cardiac anesthesia
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Cincinnati College of Medicine
- PhD, University of Michigan Medical School
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
Vice-Chair Anesthesia Quality Assurance Committee
- Recent Publications:
1. Cohen MC, Pierce ET, Bode RH, Lewis KP, Kowalchuk G, Nesto RW, Zarich SW. Types of anesthesia and cardiovascular outcomes in patients with congestive heart failure undergoing vascular surgery. Congest Heart Fail. 1999;5(6):248-253.
2. Lewis KP, Appadurai IR, Pierce ET, Halpern EF, Bode RH Jr. Prophylactic amrinone for weaning from cardiopulmonary bypass. Anaesthesia. 2000;55:627-633.
3. Howie MB, Cheng D, Newman MF, Pierce ET, Hogue C, Hillel Z, Bowdle TA, Bukenya D. A randomized double-blinded multicenter comparison of remifentanil versus fentanyl combined with isoflurane/propofol for early extubation in CABG surgery. Anesthesia Analgesia. 2001;92(5):1084-1093.
4. Zarich SW, Pierce ET, Nesto RW, Mittleman MA, Bode RH, Kowalchuk G, Cohen MC. Age and history of cardiac disease as risk factors for cardiac complications after peripheral vascular surgery in diabetic patients. Mayo Clin Proc. 2001;76(1):34-38.
5. Cheng CH, Newman MF, Duke P, Wong DT, Finegan B, Howie M, Fitch J, Bowdle A, Hogue C, Hillel Z, Pierce E, Bukenya D. Efficacy and resource utilization of remifentanil and fentanyl in fast track CABG surgery: A prospective randomized, double-blinded controlled, multi-center trial. Anesthesia Analgesia. 2001;92(5):1094-1102.
6. Drover DR, Lemmens HJ, Pierce ET, Plourde G, Loyd G, Ornstein E, Prichep LS, Chabot RJ, and Gugino L. Patient State Index (PSI): Titration of Delivery and Recovery from Propofol, Alfentanil and Nitrous Oxide Anesthesia. Anesthesiology. 2002;97:82-89.
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114-2696
Phone 1: 617-726-3030