Dr. Palacios is a nationally and internationally recognized expert in the field of interventional cardiology. He is the Director of Interventional Cardiology.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Interventional cardiology
- Percutaneous treatment of structural heart disease
- Coronary artery disease
- Valvular heart disease
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Venezuela
- Residency, Hospital Universitario de Caracas
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine
- Cardiovascular Disease
- Interventional Cardiology
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - SSN
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - New York
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
Dr. Igor F. Palacios was born in Caracas, Venezuela. After receiving a medical surgeon degree with Magna cum laude honors in 1969, from the Central University of Venezuela, Caracas. Dr. Palacios completed his initial training program at the University Hospital in Caracas, before moving to Massachusetts General Hospital, Boston, MA, USA, to qualify as cardiologist under Professor Edgar Haber in 1974. In 1990, he was appointed Director of the Interventional Cardiology Program of the Massachusetts General Hospital.
Dr. Palacios is an internationally recognized expert in the field of interventional cardiology and is a pioneer in the field of percutaneous interventions for structural heart disease. He is member of the editorial board of several peer-reviewed journals in Cardiology and has received several awards for distinguished service to medicine and the community in Venezuela, Latin America, and the United States. In 1999, his home country awarded him the Gran Cordon del Libertador ("grand rope of the Liberator) which is the highest honor awarded by the Republic of Venezuela.
In 1997, Dr. Palacios received the Clinician of the Year award; and has been recognized as one of the Best Doctors in the United States by Woodward/White, Inc. for over 10 years; and is included in the U.S. Registry of Who is Who of Outstanding Americans. In 1996,
Dr. Palacios is a founding member of the Latin American Society for Interventional Cardiology and has made many contributions to Latin American medicine including teaching and lecture presentations . He was also instrumental in helping to establish multi-center clinical trials focusing on interventional cardiology throughout Latin America. He has been a mentor and promoter of more than 25 cardiologists who have become leaders of interventional cardiology in several leading institutions in the USA and abroad. He has published extensively, authoring over 250 papers and 24 book chapters.
MGH Hotline 6.10.11 U.S. Rep. Erik Paulsen, co-chair of the Medical Technology Caucus, visited the MGH on May 18 to tour the Tissue Engineering and Organ Fabrication Laboratory in the Richard B. Simches Research Center and the Cardiac Catheterization Laboratory on Blake 9.
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114