- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Dermatology (general)
- Moles (nevi)
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Vermont College of Medicine
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Danvers: The Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
Joseph Kvedar, MD, is a board-certified dermatologist and Associate Professor of Dermatology at Harvard Medical School. He is also the Founder and Director of the Center for Connected Health, where he is creating a new model of healthcare delivery, and developing innovative strategies to move care from the hospital or doctor's office into the day-to-day lives of patients.
Dr. Kvedar established the first physician-to-physician online consultation service in an academic setting, linking patients from around the world with specialists at Harvard-affiliated teaching hospitals.
He is internationally recognized for his leadership and vision in the field of connected health, and has authored over 90 publications on the subject. Dr. Kvedar serves as a Board member for a number of organizations, including Care Continuum Alliance. He serves as a strategic advisor at West Health Institute, and is a mentor at Blueprint Health and Rock Health, providing guidance and insight to developing companies.
- Research Summary
- Technologies such as electronic follow up visits, home biometric monitoring, text messaging and social networks offer the opportunity to envision new care models that achieve improved efficiency and outcomes by allowing for more continuous care and improved self care. The Center for Connected Health (www.connected-health.org) has a robust research program that includes efforts to understand the role of these technologies in care model innovation.
Youn, SJ, Trinh N, Shyu I, Chang T, Fava M, Kvedar JC, Yeung A. Using online social media, Facebook, in screening for major depressive disorder among college students. International Journal of Clinical and Health Psychology. 2013;(1):74-80
Shive M, Bhatt M, Cantino A, Kvedar JC, Jethwani K. Perspectives about Acne: What Twitter can teach health care providers. JAMA Dermatology. 2013;149(5), 621-22
Jethwani K, Kvedar JG, Kvedar JC. Behavioral phenotyping: a tool for personalized medicine. Personalized Medicine 2010;7(6):689-693. *(paper involved collaboration with resident or fellow).
Kvedar JC, Nesbitt T, Kvedar JK, Darkins A: E-patient connectivity and the near term future. J Gen Intern Med. 2011 Nov;26 Suppl 2:636-8. doi: 10.1007/s11606-011-1763-0
In General awards and honors
In General awards and honors
MGH Hotline 08.27.10 Imagine it's the middle of the night, and a resident in the Pediatric Intensive Care Unit (PICU) needs to consult with the attending physician on call about a patient.
50 Staniford Street
Boston, MA 02114-2517
102 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923-3623