- Clinical Interests
- Cancer Screening
- Breast cancer
- Colon and rectal cancer
- Percutaneous Tumor Ablation
- Medical Education
- MD, Case Western Reserve University School of Medicine
- MPH, Harvard School of Public Health
- PhD, Harvard University
- Residency, Case Western Reserve University
- Fellowship, Case Western Reserve University Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Diagnostic Radiology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Research Summary
- My research focuses on the clinical, economic and policy implications of new medical technologies. A major focus of my work has been on cancer prevention and control, principally related to breast, lung and colorectal cancer.
Lee JM, McMahon PM, Kong CY, Kopans DB, Ryan PD, Ozanne EM, Halpern EF, Gazelle GS. Cost-Effectiveness of Breast MRI and Screen-Film Mammography for Screening BRCA1 Gene Mutation Carriers. Radiology, 2010; 254: 793-800
McMahon PM, Kong CY, Bouzan C, Weinstein MC, Cipriano LE, Tramontano AC, Johnson BE, Weeks JC, Gazelle GS. Cost-effectiveness of Computed Tomography Screening for Lung Cancer in the United States. Journal of Thoracic Oncology, 2011; 6: 1841-1848
Lowry KP, Lee JM, Kong CY, McMahon PM, Gilmore ME, Chubiz JEC, Pisano ED, Gatsonis C, Ryan PD, Ozanne EM, Gazelle GS. Annual Screening Strategies in BRCA1 and BRCA2 Gene Mutation Carriers: A Comparative Effectiveness Analysis. Cancer; 2012; 118: 2021-2030
Knudsen AB, Hur C, Gazelle GS, Schrag D, McFarland EG, Kuntz KM. Rescreening of Individuals with a Negative Colonoscopy: Results from a Microsimulation Model. Annals of Internal Medicine, 2012; 157: 611-620
Cott Chubitz JE, Lee JM, Gilmore ME, Lowry KP, Halpern EF, McMahon PM, Ryan PD, Gazelle GS. Cost-Effectiveness of Alternating Magnetic Resonance Imaging and Digital Mammography Screening in BRCA1 and BRCA2 Gene Mutation Carriers. Cancer, 2013; 119:1266-1276
Six Mass General radiologists were recently inducted as American College of Radiology fellows, demonstrating a history of service and dedication to patients.
Incorporating coronary CT angiography into the initial evaluation of low-risk patients coming to hospital emergency departments with chest pain appears to reduce the time patients spend in the hospital without incurring additional costs or exposing patients to significant risks.
In General awards and honors
Two Mass General experts talk about what patients need to know when their doctor suggests a CT scan.
The use of CT scanning to evaluate abdominal pain in emergency departments can help physicians arrive at a diagnosis quickly and decisively.
There is no reason to create obtrusive coverage policies that will block access to these lifesaving tools that are truly transforming care for millions of patients.
All MRIs are not created equal: Look for expertise among those administering the exams and among the radiologists reading them.
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114
Phone 1: 617-724-4445
Phone 2: 617-726-4047