Jianren Mao, MD, PhD
Vice Chair for Research, Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine
Director, MGH Center for Translational Pain Research
- Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine
- Clinical Interests
- Pain management
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Medical Education
- PhD, Medical College of Virginia
- MD, Suzhou Medical College
- Residency, Medical College Virginia Hospitals
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Fellowship, Suzhou Medical College
- Board Certifications
- Anesthesiology, American Board of Anesthesiology
- Pain Medicine, American Board of Anesthesiology
- Foreign Languages
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Medicare - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Connecticut
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
OSW - Vermont
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Railroad Medicare - ACD
Senior Whole Health
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
BiographyThe Mass General Center for Translational Pain Research is devoted to translational research on pain mechanisms and pain treatment. The Center is interested in technology transfer and intellectual property development in pain management.
In the clinical area, we are interested in studying the clinical neurobiology of neuropathic and inflammatory pain and exploring novel pharmacological and interventional approaches for the management of various clinical pain conditions. We have been extensively involved in studying the cellular mechanisms and clinical features of opioid-induced pain, opioid tolerance and addiction.
In the preclinical area, we are interested in studying:
- the neural and molecular mechanisms of neuropathic pain, opioid tolerance, and opioid-induced hyperalgesia;
- the role of endogenous cannabinoids in the modulation of neuropathic pain;
- the role of central glucocorticoid receptors in the neural and molecular mechanisms of pain and opioid tolerance;
- peripheral and central mechanisms of burn-induced pain and low back pain.
ResearchDr. Mao is the Vice Chair for Research at the MGH Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine and the Director of the MGH Center for Translational Pain Research. Dr. Mao is the Richard J. Kitz Professor of Anesthesia Research, Harvard Medical School. His research interests are related to the mechanisms, diagnosis, and treatment of cancer-related pain, neuropathic pain, back and neck pain as well as opioid tolerance, dependence, and addiction. Dr. Mao's research projects have been well funded by the National Institutes of Health and other sources.
Link to the MGH Center for Translational Pain Research: http://www2.massgeneral.org/painresearch/
Center for Pain Medicine
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.