- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Breast cancer
- Diagnosis and treatment of breast disease
- Nipple sparing mastectomy
- Management of Women at High Risk of Developing Breast or Ovarian Cancer
- Medical Education
- MD, Dartmouth Medical School
- Residency, Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh
- Fellowship, National Cancer Institute
- Board Certifications
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
Dr. Hughes has over 25 years of experience caring for women with breast cancer and breast diseases. Dr. Hughes is Co-Director of the Avon Breast Evaluation Program at Massachusetts General Hospital, Associate Professor of Surgery at Harvard Medical School, and Medical Director of the Bermuda Cancer Genetics Risk Assessment Clinic. Dr. Hughes is a graduate of Dartmouth College and Dartmouth Medical School. He trained at the Mercy Hospital of Pittsburgh for general surgery, followed by a fellowship in Surgical Oncology at the National Cancer Institute. Dr. Hughes is actively involved in research regarding the genetics, screening, diagnosis and treatment of breast cancer. He is part of a multidisciplinary team of Medical Oncologists, Radiation Oncologists and Plastic Surgeons working together to provide the best care possible for women with breast cancer and other breast diseases. He has had a major role in developing the standards and guidelines that are designed to improve breast cancer care for all women.
Dr. Hughes was named:
- One of Boston Magazine's Top Docs 2008 thru 2016
- One of America's Top Doctors for Cancer every year since 2005
- One of America's Top Doctors every year since 2005
- Research Summary
Dr. Hughes is actively involved in research regarding:
- Genetics and risk factors for breast cancer
- Machine learning and artificial intelligence
- Breast density
- Diagnostic approaches to breast disease and breast cancer
- Treatment of breast cancer
- Clinical Decision Support
Schwartz GF, Hughes KS, Lynch HT, Fabian CJ, Fentiman IS, Robson ME, Domchek SM, Hartmann LC, Holland R, Winchester DJ. Proceedings of the International Consensus Conference on Breast Cancer Risk, Genetics, & Risk Management, April, 2007. Cancer 113 (10): 2627-2637, 2008.
Ozanne EM, Loberg A, Hughes S, Lawrence C, Drohan B, Semine A, Jellinek M, Cronin C, Milham F, Dowd D, Block C, Lockhart D, Sharko J, Grinstein G, Hughes KS. Identification and Management of Women at High Risk for Hereditary Breast/Ovarian Cancer Syndrome. The Breast Journal, Breast J. 2009;15(2):155-162.
Murphy CD, Lee JM, Drohan B, Euhus DM, Kopans DB, Rafferty EA, Specht MA, Smith BL, Hughes KS. The American Cancer Society Guidelines for Breast Screening with MRI: An Argument for Genetic Testing, Cancer, Cancer. 2008;113(11):3116-3120.
Mattos D, Gfrerer L, Irving TC, Reish RG, Hughes KS, Halper EF, Cetrulo C, Colwell AS, Winograd JM, Yaremchuk MJ, Austen WG, Liao EC. Occult histopathology and its predictors in contralateral and bilateral prophylactic mastectomies. Ann Surg Oncol. 2016;23(3):767-775.
Yala A, Barzilay R, Salama L, Griffin M, Sollender G, Bardia A, Lehman C, Buckley JM, Coopey SB, Polubriaginof F, Garber JE, Smith BL, Gadd MA, Specht MC, Gudewicz TM, Guidi AJ, Taghian A, Hughes KS. Using machine learning to parse breast pathology reports. Breast Cancer Res Treat. 2017;161(2):203-211.
Hughes KS , Ambinder EP, et al. OPO Workshop Members. Identifying health information technology needs of oncologists to facilitate the adoption of genomic medicine: recommendations from the 2016 ASCO Omics and Precision Oncology (OPO) Workshop. J Clin Oncol (In Press)
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
15 Parkman Street
Boston, MA 02114-3117