Aidan Angelo (Aidan) Long, MD
- Allergy and Immunology
- Department of Medicine
- Clinical Interests
- Nasal polyposis
- Drug hypersensitivity
- Food sensitivity
- Eosinophilic disorders
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Waltham: Mass General West
- Medical Education
- MD, University College Cork Medical School
- Residency, St. Vincent's University Hospital
- Fellowship, McMaster University Medical Center
- Board Certifications
- Allergy & Immunology, American Board of Allergy and Immunology
- Foreign Languages
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and pediatric
- Accepting New Patients
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Medicare - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Senior Whole Health
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
I received my medical degree from University College Cork of the National University of Ireland in 1980. After residency training in internal medicine in Cork and Dublin, I undertook Fellowship training and Allergy and Immunology at McMaster University in Canada, as well as serving as Chief Medical Resident. I followed this with a 3 year laboratory-based research Fellowship in the Department of Hematology Oncology at Tufts University-New England Medical Center. From 1991-2001, I was a staff physician in the Division of Allergy at that institution and Assistant Professor of Medicine at Tufts University. I co-directed the clinical practice and worked part-time in a private practice between 1996 and 2001.
In 2001, I was appointed Clinical Director of the allergy unit at Massachusetts General Hospital. In 2004, I assumed an additional role as Director of the Fellowship Program in Allergy and Immunology in the Division of Rheumatology, Allergy and Immunology. I am an Associate Professor of Medicine at Harvard Medical School.
In 2007, I embarked on a novel study of dendritic cell function in patients with asthma. Previously, my research was clinically based and related predominantly to health care utilization and adherence patterns in asthma patients. During fellowship, I studied lymphocytotoxic and antiphospholipid antibodies in SLE and use of variable region genes usage in autoantibodies and IgE. I also evaluated in situ PCR. During residency, I co-authored publications in the field of rheumatology and gastroenterology.
View my most recent publications at PubMed
- Long AA, Camargo CA Jr. Current practice of venom immunotherapy in the UK. Clin Exp Allergy. 2008 Oct;38(10):1576-8. Epub 2008 Jul 28.
- Long AA. Immunomodulators in the Treatment of Asthma. Allergy Asthma Proc 2009; 30: 109-119
- Long AA. Monoclonal Antibodies and Other Biologic Agents in the Treatment of Asthma. mAbs 2009; 1(3): 237- 246.
- Long, AA. Aeroallergen sensitization in asthma: Genetics, environment and pathphysiology. Allergy and Asthma Proceedings, 2010, 31: 89-95.
- Patil SU and Long AA. The usefulness of biomarkers of airway inflammation in managing asthma. Allergy and Asthma Proceedings, July 2010
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696
MGH West Allergy
40 Second Avenue
Waltham, MA 02451
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.