Dr. Colwell specializes in plastic surgery of the breast, body, and face. She offers guidance in treatment options that are tailored to each unique individual.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Body contouring after childbirth, massive weight loss, aging
- Breast augmentation, Breast lift
- Facelift, Necklift, Rhinoplasty
- Botox and fillers (Juvederm)
- Breast Reconstruction
- Tummy tuck (abdominoplasty)
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Minnesota Medical School
- Residency, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Fellowship, Brigham and Women's Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Plastic Surgery
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Pediatric and Adult
Dr. Colwell specializes in plastic surgery of the breast, body, and face. She completed her general surgery training at the Brigham and Women's Hospital and then finished a three year residency in plastic surgery in the Harvard combined training program.
Dr. Colwell has special interests in all types of breast surgery including reconstruction after mastectomy for breast cancer, breast augmentation, breast lifts (mastopexy), and breast reduction. She has written articles on each of these procedures to improve techniques and outcomes. Dr. Colwell also has a focused interest on body contouring (tummy tucks, arm lifts, buttock lifts, thigh lifts, labiaplasty) after childbirth, massive weight loss, and with aging. She evaluates each person's unique body to recommend the best procedure for them considering their desires and safety considerations. She has given talks locally and nation-wide on her preferred techniques and has experience with ultrasonic liposuction for added enhancement. Dr. Colwell also performs reconstructive and cosmetic facial surgery including facelifts, eyelid lifts, rhinoplasty, excision of skin cancers, facial fillers (restylane and juvaderm), and botox.
- Research Summary
Dr. Colwell has research interests in improving techniques and outcomes for breast reconstruction and body contouring. She is currently assessing patient satisfaction after different types of breast reconstruction and assessing the differences between patients who go on to have reconstruction compared to those who do not. This may help in counseling future patients. In addition, she is interested in patient safety in body contouring and is trying to determine the best way to manage these patients during their procedures.
- Breuing KH, Colwell AS. Inferolateral AlloDerm? Hammock for Implant Coverage in Breast Reconstruction.
- Colwell AS, et al. Breast Augmentation Following Breast Reduction: Getting the Size Right.
- Colwell AS, et al. Improving Shape and Symmetry in Mastopexy.
- Colwell AS. Body Contouring after Massive Weight Loss: Optimizing the Results.
- Breuing KH, Colwell AS. Immediate Breast Implant Reconstruction with Inferolateral AlloDerm Sling and Post-Operative Radiation:
- Colwell AS, et al. Mastopexy Techniques Following Massive Weight Loss
- Colwell AS et al. An Inferolateral Approach to Nipple-Sparing Mastectomy Reconstruction
Amy S. Colwell, MD, surgeon in the Division of Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery at Massachusetts General Hospital, discusses a new approach for breast reconstruction surgery after a cancer diagnosis.
15 Parkman Street
Boston MA, 02114-3117