Dr. Parangi is dedicated to personalized care of your thyroid and parathyroid problems. She has been named to Best of Boston and does surgery on on complex cases of aggressive thyroid cancers, recurrent thyroid cancer, and neck dissections.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Head and neck ultrasound and biopsy
- RLN Nerve Monitoring
- Thyroid surgery
- Parathyroid and adrenal glands
- Medical Education
- MD, Columbia University College of Physicians and Surgeons
- Residency, UC San Francisco
- Fellowship, UC San Francisco
- Board Certifications
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
- Research Summary
- Dr. Sareh Parangi has been one of the Boston surgeons named in Best Doctor and her excellence in both research and her clinical expertise have earned her a national reputation. She is one of a handful of thyroid surgeons with expertise in molecular biology and has over 70 publications, many on thyroid cancer therapeutics in premier journal. She has taught about thyroid cancer care at the Harvard Course "Advances in Cancer Management for the Surgeon" and about thyroid and parathyroid ultrasound at the American College of Surgeons. Dr. Parangi has been able to balance her passion for translational research with innovative and compassionate care to patients with complex thyroid diseases. Her work in thyroid cancer details certain key genetic changes seen more frequently in those who do poorly, to help elucidate the role of these genetic changes in the aggressive behavior of those cancers. This important research effort focuses on clarifying the molecular mechanism of thyroid cancer invasion and understanding the process of disease progression in patients with thyroid cancer. Dr. Parangi's laboratory has started to characterize how a common genetic mutation in aggressive thyroid cancer BRAF (V600E) leads to thyroid cancer cell invasion, migration and metastasis. She has established the endocrine tumor tissue repository in 2008 and the molecular diagnostics laboratory is has been combined with other translational research efforts at the MGH including the Endocrine Surgery Clinical Database under the auspices of the Codman Center for Clinical Effectiveness and basic science laboratory research to improve translational research in thyroid cancer.
1.Surgical drains can be safely avoided in lateral neck dissections for papillary thyroid cancer.
Mekel M, Stephen AE, Gaz RD, Randolph GW, Richer S, Perry ZH, Lubitz CC, Nehs MA, Parangi S, Hodin RA. Am J Surg. 2010 Apr;199(4):485-90.
2.Clinical and cytological features predictive of malignancy in thyroid follicular neoplasms.
Lubitz CC, Faquin WC, Yang J, Mekel M, Gaz RD, Parangi S, Randolph GW, Hodin RA, Stephen AE.
Thyroid. 2010 Jan;20(1):25-31.
3.A novel orthotopic mouse model of human anaplastic thyroid carcinoma.
Nucera C, Nehs MA, Mekel M, Zhang X, Hodin R, Lawler J, Nose V, Parangi S.
Thyroid. 2009 Oct;19(10):1077-84.
4.Thyroid surgery in octogenarians is associated with higher complication rates.
Mekel M, Stephen AE, Gaz RD, Perry ZH, Hodin RA, Parangi S.
Surgery. 2009 Nov;146(5):913-21.
5.Thrombospondin-1 modulates vascular endothelial growth factor activity at the receptor level.
Zhang X, Kazerounian S, Duquette M, Perruzzi C, Nagy JA, Dvorak HF, Parangi S, Lawler J.
FASEB J. 2009 Oct;23(10):3368-76. Epub 2009 Jun 15.
Thyroid Nodules: Biopsy Results & Treatment Recommendations
Sareh Parangi, MD, endocrine surgeon in the Thyroid Nodule Program at Massachusetts General Hospital, discusses thyroid nodule biopsy results and treatment recommendations.
Boston MA, 02114-3117
Phone 1: 617-643-4806
Boston MA, 02115
Phone 1: 617-738-8300