As a Head and Neck surgeon, Dr. Randolph's surgical activity focuses exclusively on thyroid and parathyroid and related neck surgery seeing patients and operating at both Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary and Mass General Hospital.
- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Head and neck cancer surgery
- Airway and voice surgery
- Hyperparathyroidism surgery
- Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve Monitoring
- Endocrine surgery
- Thyroid cancer
- Thyroid surgery
- Parathyroid surgery
- Medical Education
- MD, Cornell University Medical College
- Residency, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Fellowship, Massachusetts Eye and Ear Infirmary
- Board Certifications
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- United Healthplan (non-HMO) - other
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
Gregory W. Randolph is an Associate Professor of Otolaryngology Head and Neck Surgery at Harvard Medical School. He trained at Cornell and Harvard Medical Schools. He serves as Director of the General Otolaryngology Division and founded and directs the Division of Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery. Dr. Randolph's surgical activity focuses exclusively on thyroid and parathyroid and related neck surgery seeing patients and operating at both Mass Eye and Ear Infirmary and Mass General Hospital. As a Head and Neck surgeon his Dr. Randolph has focused the bulk of his research on recurrent laryngeal nerve anatomy, preservation and monitoring during thyroid and parathyroid surgery and thyroid cancer surgery with focus on lymph node metastasis and revision cancer surgery and has lead thyroid surgical missions to thyroid surgical units in St. Petersburg, Russia, Guangzhou, China, and in the Chernobyl region of the Ukraine. He directs the Harvard Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery Course for surgeons. He founded the first Otolaryngology based Thyroid and Parathyroid surgical fellowship in the U.S.
He has published an endocrine surgical text: Surgery of the Thyroid and Parathyroid Gland? published by Saunders which has been nominated for a publishing industry award as a new and innovative surgical text and is being translated to Russian, Portuguese, Turkish and Chinese.
- Research Summary
- Dr. Randolph's research centers on the recurrent laryngeal nerve and its management and preservation during thyroid cancer surgery. This involves both human and animal studies and focuses on the electrophysiologic manifestation of neural injury during monitored surgery. Also his research focuses on thyroid cancer lymph node dectection and management and revision surgery for thyroid cancer.
Randolph GW, Henning D and the International Neural Monitoring Study Group. Electrophysiologic Recurrent Laryngeal Nerve Monitoring During Thyroid and Parathyroid Surgery: International Standards Guideline Statement. Laryngoscope, 121:S1S16, 2011.
Pierce E, Randolph GW. Surgery of the Well Differentiated Thyroid Carcinoma: The pendulum swings back in the central neck (Editorial) Endocrine Practice; 16 (5) 913-917, 2010.
Randolph GW. The importance of pre- and postoperative laryngeal examination for thyroid surgery. (Editorial) Thyroid 20(5):453-8, 2010.
243 Charles Street
Boston, MA 02114 - 3002
55 Fruit Street
Boston, MA 02114-2696