- Centers & Specialties
- Clinical Interests
- Kidney (renal) transplant
- Liver transplant
- Hepatobiliary surgery
- Liver cancer
- Hepatocellular carcinoma, Cholangiocarcinoma, Liver tumors
- Hepatitis C
- Medical Education
- MD, University of Damascus Syria
- Residency, North Oakland Medical Center
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Foreign Languages
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Danvers: The Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
- Patient Gateway
- Yes, learn more
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
Dr. Nahel Elias is a multi-organ abdominal transplant surgeon dedicated to kidney, liver, and pancreas recipients' care. He attended University of Damascus, Syria (MD 1994), and McGill (Montreal) as a Transplant Research Fellow prior to General Surgery residency in Michigan '97-'02, and the MGH Multi-Organ abdominal Transplant Surgery fellowship '02-'04, then joined MGH Transplant Surgery staff . Since then, Dr. Elias has developed protocols supporting solutions to organ shortage; including ICUs, operating room, and New England Organ Bank collaboration advancing donation programs at regional hospitals. He has evolved the transplant database, and chairs the MGH Transplant Center Quality Assessment and Performance Improvement since 2008.
In 2012 Dr. Elias became Surgical Director of Kidney Transplantation, and the program has progressed greatly since. Its volume has surpassed other regional programs and maintained excellent results. It continues to improve and address patient's needs and satisfaction.
Additional to performing and caring for liver and kidney transplant, Dr. Elias also treates patients with liver cancer (hepato-cellular carcinoma), through the Cancer Center's multi-disciplinary liver cancer clinic since its inception, both as a transplant surgeon and a hepato-biliary surgeon. His skills in surgical care provide many options to his patients with liver disease, including transplantation, as well as other hepato-biliary and portal hypertension procedures.
Dr. Elias teaches medical students, residents, and fellows, and is the director of a Harvard Medical School course on transplant surgery. He also speaks frequently locally, nationally, and internationally about Transplantation, conducts research on Immuno-suppression, and hepatitis C management, and has contributed to the medical literature. He has won many awards and is a member of many Surgical and transplant societies.
In 2015, Mary Anne Gauthier of Nashua, New Hampshire, received a series of devastating diagnoses. The retired professor of nursing, who taught at Northeastern University and ran its undergraduate nursing program for nearly two decades, knew something was wrong.
John Marzelli and Esperanza Yoblonsky were suffering from IgA nephropathy and both needed a new kidney; they found the answer in the Mass General Transplant Center&rsquo;s internal exchange program.
165 Cambridge St
Boston, MA 02114-2751
165 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA 02114-2751