Dr. Kwon is an accomplished surgeon, researcher and educator specializing in minimally invasive total hip and knee replacements and complex revision surgeries. Dr. Kwon's practice is dedicated to caring for patients who require joint replacements.
- Clinical Interests
- Minimally invasive total hip replacement
- Minimally invasive total knee replacement
- Total hip replacement
- Total knee replacement
- Minimally invasive surgery
- Hip revision surgery
- Knee revision surgery
- Hip arthritis
- Knee arthritis
- Medical Education
- PhD, University of Oxford - Wadham College
- MBBS, University of Sydney School of Public Health
- Residency, Concord Hospital|Residency, Royal Australasian College of Surgeons
- Fellowship, Balgrist Hospital|Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
Note: This provider may accept more insurance plans than shown; please call the practice to find out if your plan is accepted.
- Patient Age Group
Young-Min Kwon, MD, PhD, FRCS, FRACS earned his MD with Honors from the University of Sydney, Australia and completed his orthopaedic residency at Concord Repatriation General Hospital, Sydney. Dr. Kwon completed his Fellowship in Adult Reconstructive Surgery at MGH/Harvard Medical School. He then completed a second Hip Reconstruction Fellowship at the University Hospital Balgrist, Zurich, Switzerland. Dr. Kwon also earned a PhD from the University of Oxford, England. He is a Fellow in Orthopaedic Surgery in both the Royal College of Surgeons of England (FRCS) and the Royal Australian College of Surgeons (FRACS).
Dr. Kwon is Director of the Adult Reconstructive Surgery Fellowship, the Bioengineering Laboratory, as well as The Center for Metal-on-Metal Hip & Tribocorrosion. He has been the recipient of numerous awards and honors, including the Sir John Irvine Hunter Prize in conjunction with the title of Prosector, the AOA Travelling Fellowship Award, the Royal College of Surgeon's Traveling Fellowship Award, the New Investigator Recognition Award from the Orthopaedic Research Society, the Kappa Delta Award from the AAOS and the John Charnley Award from the US Hip Society.
- Research Summary
Dr. Kwon is dedicated to investigating orthopaedic problems and finding solutions that achieve the best outcome for his patients. Dr. Kwon's expertise in metal-on-metal hip replacements is recognized with more than 40 invited presentations at national and international scientific meetings. For Dr. Kwon's research investigating adverse reactions in metal-on-metal joint replacements, he has received the Kappa Delta Award from the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons (AAOS). Since their inception in 1947, the Kappa Delta Awards are bestowed by the Academy for outstanding research in orthopaedic surgery that is of the highest significance and impact. Also, Dr. Kwon was awarded the prestigious John Charnley Award from the US Hip Society.
You can read more about Dr. Kwon's Kappa Delta Award at Aches & Joints, the AAOS website and the Harvard Gazette. Dr. Kwon has also been featured in the New York Times here and here, on NPR and with the AAOS.
Dr. Kwon is the Director of the Bioengineering Laboratory as well as the Mass General Center for Metal-on-Metal Hip & Tribocorrosion.
- Kwon YM, Fehring TK, Lombardi AV, Barnes CL, Cabanela ME, Jacobs JJ. Risk stratification algorithm for management of patients with dual modular taper total hip arthroplasty: consensus statement of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons and the Hip Society. J Arthroplasty. 2014 Nov;29(11):2060-4.
- Kwon YM, Lombardi AV, Jacobs JJ, Fehring TK, Lewis CG, Cabanela ME. Risk Stratification Algorithm for Management of Patients with Metal-on-Metal Hip Arthroplasty: Consensus Statement of the American Association of Hip and Knee Surgeons, the American Academy of Orthopaedic Surgeons, and The Hip Society. J Bone Joint Surg Am. 2014 Jan 1;96:e4(1-6)
- Tsai TY, Dimitriou D, Li JS, Li G, Kwon YM. Asymmetric Hip Kinematics during Gait in Unilateral Total Hip Arthroplasty Patient: in vivo 3-dimensional motion analysis. J Biomech 2015;48(4):555-559.
- Dimitriou D, Tsai TY, Li JS, Nam KW, Park KK, Kwon YM. In vivo kinematic evaluation of Total Hip Arthroplasty during stair climbing. J Orthop Res 2015;33(7):1087-93.
- Li C, Hosseini A, Tsai TY, Kwon YM, Li G. Articular Contact Kinematics of the Knee Before and After a Cruciate Retaining Total Knee Arthroplasty J Orthop Res 2015;33(3):349-358.
- Tsai TY, Dimitriou D, Liow MH, Rubash HE, Li G, Kwon YM. 3D Imaging Analysis of Unicompartmental Knee Arthroplasty Evaluated in Standing Position: Component Alignment and In-Vivo Articular Contact. J Arthroplasty 2016 May;31(5):1096-101.
Dr. Young-Min Kwon honored with Kappa Delta Investigator Award for outstanding research in Orthopaedic surgery.
MGH Hotline 02.11.11 In General awards and honors
article quotes MGH physician Young-Min Kwon
Dr. Young-Min Kwon of the Center for Hip & Knee Replacement at Mass General discusses the failure of metal-on-metal hip implants.
Dr. Young-Min Kwon of the Center for Hip & Knee Replacement at Mass General discusses why there was such widespread support for metal-on-metal hip implants.
Dr. Young-Min Kwon of the Center for Hip & Knee Replacement at Mass General discusses the failure rate of metal-on-metal hip implants with the New York Times.
Dr. Young-Min Kwon of the Center for Hip & Knee Replacement at Mass General comments on the failure of metal-on-metal hip implants.
55 Fruit Street
Yawkey Center for Outpatient Care, Suite 3B
Boston MA, 02114-2696