Ashwin N. Ananthakrishnan, MBBS, MPH
- Department of Medicine
- Digestive Healthcare Center
- Crohn's & Colitis Center
- Clinical Interests
- Crohn's disease
- Ulcerative colitis
- General gastroenterology
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Danvers: The Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
- Medical Education
- MBBS, Jawaharlal Institute of Postgraduate Medical Education & Research
- MPH, Johns Hopkins University School of Public Health
- Residency, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Fellowship, Medical College of Wisconsin
- Board Certifications
- Internal Medicine, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Gastroenterology, American Board of Internal Medicine
- Foreign Languages
- Accepting New Patients
- Accepting New Patients
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
Cigna (PAL #'s)
Fallon Community HealthCare
Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
Humana/Choice Care PPO
Medicare - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
OSW - Maine
OSW - New Hampshire
OSW - Rhode Island
Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
Senior Whole Health
Tufts Health Plan
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
My research is focused on the epidemiology and outcomes of patients with inflammatory bowel diseases. I am involved in studies that are aimed to better understand the risk factors (including diet and environment) for developing Crohn's disease or ulcerative colitis. This will help us better understand the pathogenesis of these conditions which will eventually lead to novel treatments. I am also conducting clinical research that examines the course of disease and response to various therapies with the aim of developing predictive models that can be used both to inform about disease course as well the likelihood of response to specific therapy. I am interested in novel tools to monitor disease activity and identify complications. I participate in clinical trials related to inflammatory bowel diseases. I am also involved in various research projects using large datasets to determine patterns of care and outcome as they relate to gastroenterology.
View my most recent publications at PubMed
- Ananthakrishnan AN, Higuchi LM, Huang ES, Khalili H, Richter JM, Fuchs CS, Chan AT. 2012. Aspirin, Nonsteroidal Anti-inflammatory Drug Use, and Risk for Crohn Disease and Ulcerative Colitis: A Cohort Study. Ann Intern Med 156: 350-9.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, Khalili H, Higuchi LM, Bao Y, Korzenik JR, Giovannucci EL, Richter JM, Fuchs CS, Chan AT. 2012. Higher predicted vitamin d status is associated with reduced risk of Crohn's disease. Gastroenterology 142: 482-9.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, Hur C, Juillerat P, Korzenik JR. 2011. Strategies for the prevention of postoperative recurrence in Crohn's disease: results of a decision analysis. Am J Gastroenterol 106: 2009-17.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, McGinley EL, Binion DG, Saeian K. 2011. Ambient air pollution correlates with hospitalizations for inflammatory bowel disease: an ecologic analysis. Inflamm Bowel Dis 17: 1138-45.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, McGinley EL, Binion DG. 2009. Inflammatory bowel disease in the elderly is associated with worse outcomes: a national study of hospitalizations. Inflamm Bowel Dis 15: 182-9.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, Weber LR, Knox JF, Skaros S, Emmons J, Lundeen S, Issa M, Otterson MF, Binion DG. 2008. Permanent work disability in Crohn's disease. Am J Gastroenterol 103: 154-61.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, McGinley EL, Binion DG. 2008. Excess hospitalisation burden associated with Clostridium difficile in patients with inflammatory bowel disease. Gut 57: 205-10.
- Ananthakrishnan AN, Schellhase KG, Sparapani RA, Laud PW, Neuner JM. 2007. Disparities in colon cancer screening in the Medicare population. Arch Intern Med 167: 258-64.
Research at the Massachusetts General Hospital Digestive Healthcare Center, including clinical trials of new biologic medications, as well new minimally invasive surgical techniques, is helping expand treatment and management of patients with inflammatory bowel disease.
Gastroenterology Assoc/Digestive Health Center
165 Cambridge Street
Boston, MA 02114
Mass General/North Shore Center for Outpatient Care
102 Endicott Street
Danvers, MA 01923-3623
Call the Massachusetts General Hospital physician referral service at 800-711-4644.
Mass General accepts most health insurance plans. Find out what you need to know before coming to Mass General.
Driving to Mass General? Get driving directions or locate a parking lot on the hospital's main campus.