- Clinical Interests
- Chronic pain management
- Pain management
- Complex Regional Pain Syndrome
- Spinal stenosis
- Cancer pain
- Regional anesthesia
- Clinical trials
- Drug Development
- Medical Education
- MD, Johns Hopkins University School of Medicine
- Residency, The Johns Hopkins Hospital
- Fellowship, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Pain Medicine
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Waltham: Mass General West
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - ACD
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Connecticut
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Railroad Medicare - ACD
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
- Adult and Pediatric
Clinical care: My clinical expertise focuses on comprehensive pain management for chronic pain patients acute (postoperative) pain. In my role in the multi-disciplinary, outpatient, Chronic Pain Clinic, I evaluate and treat patients with a variety of chronic and cancer-related pain. Additionally, on our inpatient Acute Pain Service, I attend to the needs of postoperative pain patients, including those with epidural and peripheral nerve catheters.Research and education: My research interests focus on furthering strategies and treatment methods that can be employed to inhibit the progression of acute to chronic pain. I am also involved in clinical trials involving novel analgesics and interventions for pain management from proof-of-concept studies to phase II and III multi-center studies. I teach fellows, residents and medical students in all areas where I attend clinically.
Administrative: I am the Director for the MGH Center for Pain Medicine wherein I oversee all activities at both our Boston and Waltham Pain centers.
1. Carinci AJ, Mao J. Pain and Opioid Addiction: What Is the Connection? Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2010 February; 14(1):17-21.
2. Carinci AJ, Mehta P, Christo, PJ. Chronic Pain in Torture Victims. Current Pain and Headache Reports. 2010 April; 14(2):73-79.
3. Christo PJ, Christo DK, Carinci AJ, Freischlag JA. Single CT-Guided Chemodenervation of the Anterior Scalene Muscle with Botulinum Toxin for Neurogenic Thoracic Outlet Syndrome. Pain Med. 2010 Apr;11(4):504-11.
4. Carinci AJ. Careers in Anesthesiology: The Joy of Volunteering. Volume XI. Book Review. Eds. Caton D. and McGoldrick KE. Anesthesiology. 2010 Feb;112(2):503
5. Carinci AJ, Christo PJ. All I Had Was a Knee Bursectomy, Do I Now Have RSD? In: Gallagher, Lewis, Schwengel eds. Core Clinical Competencies in Anesthesiology: A Case-based Approach. Cambridge University Press, 1 edition, April 30, 2010.
6. Carinci AJ, Christo PJ. Physician Impairment: Is Recovery Feasible? Pain Physician. 2009 May-Jun;12(3):487-91
7. Carinci AJ, Christo PJ. Cancer Pain and Pharmacotherapies. In: Heitmiller G, eds. The Johns Hopkins Handbook of Anesthesia, Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2009.
8. Carinci AJ, Mazloomdoost D, Towsley D, Stonemetz J. Documentation, Economics and Legal Aspects of Anesthesiology. In: Heitmiller G, eds. The Johns Hopkins Handbook of Anesthesia, Philadelphia: Elsevier, 2009.
9. Raja SN, Carinci A, Baron R. Sympathetically Maintained Pain in CRPS II: Human Experimentation. In: Schmidt RF, Willis WD, editors. Encyclopedic Reference of Pain, Springer Verlag, Berlin, Heidelberg, New York 2007.
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114-2696
15 Parkman Street
Boston MA, 02114-3117
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114-2696
40 Second Avenue
Waltham MA, 02451