- Clinical Interests
- Anesthesia for general surgery
- Obstetric anesthesia
- Vascular anesthesia
- Operating Room Management
- Medical Education
- MD, University of California at Los Angeles
- Residency, Massachusetts General Hospital
- Board Certifications
- Boston: Massachusetts General Hospital
- Insurances Accepted
- Aetna Health Inc.
- Beech Street
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Blue Care 65
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Indemnity
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Managed Care
- Blue Cross Blue Shield - Partners Plus
- Cigna (PAL #'s)
- Fallon Community HealthCare
- Great-West Healthcare (formally One Health Plan)
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - other
- Harvard Pilgrim Health Plan - PBO
- Health Care Value Management (HCVM)
- Humana/Choice Care PPO
- Medicare - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - ACD
- Neighborhood Health Plan - PBO
- OSW - Maine
- OSW - New Hampshire
- OSW - Rhode Island
- OSW - Vermont
- Private Health Care Systems (PHCS)
- Railroad Medicare
- Senior Whole Health
- Tufts Health Plan
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - ACD
- United Healthcare (non-HMO) - PBO
- Patient Age Group
My clinical practice is currently focused on Anesthesia for General Surgery and Surgical Oncology, along with Gynecological, Plastic and Reconstructive Surgery. I am also clinically active in Obstetric Anesthesia, and was previously active on the Vascular Anesthesia service.
In addition, I have a number of administrative roles and responsibilities. As Assistant Division Chief for the Division of General Surgery Anesthesia, I help to manage the largest division within the Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care, and Pain Medicine. As an Operating Room Staff Administrator, I spend a number of days each month managing resources for our 70+ anesthetizing locations.
As Co-chair of the DACCPM Quality and Safety Committee, I am committed to improving the quality of care we provide, and to reducing preventable errors. I have led, or been significantly involved with, efforts to improve both the preoperative and postoperative evaluation of our patients to identify areas for continuous improvement. I have helped to lead a successful initiative to improve transitions of care from provider to provider in the OR, and am leading a new effort to improve the handoff between the ICUs and OR. And, our committee is leading the department's effort to bring Emergency Manuals to all of the anesthetizing locations across our department, hoping to improve responses to critical events, reduce errors, and improve patient safety.
My research interests include patient safety, operating room management and efficiency, process improvement, and the intersection of healthcare quality and cost. I am actively involved with resident education, both clinically and through quality improvement and research activities.
The Department of Anesthesia, Critical Care and Pain Medicine spotlights Aalok Agarwala, MD.
55 Fruit Street
Boston MA, 02114-2696